Sponsors
Sponsor Products
RV on linux - what do you do for audio?
posted by Greg Whynott  on Sept. 24, 2014, 10:45 a.m. (3 years, 6 months, 26 days ago)
19 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Anyone running Tweak RV on linux?

Ran into a problem where ALSA can only play one stream(it doesn't want to share the device amongst processes) , if you open a review/video window it plays audio fine, subsequent opened players have no audio.

The manual suggests using PluseAudio or JACK. We have had issues with PluseAudio using large amounts of CPU and becoming non-responsive. It goes on to say to consider using JACK with PluseAudio..

anyway was just wondering what you decided on using if you do use Tweak RV on linux.

-g

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Samuel Nair @ July 27, 2016, 11:50 a.m.
@Grace - did not test USB soundcards recently, but i have used them in the past and latencies are usually worse because its a shared bus and you cannot guarantee latency.
@Chris - I have tested with onboard and discreet audio cards, the problem has never been the hardware, its almost always been the sound server, like pulseaudio (or in the past artsd - which i remember was a lot better, but had similar problems too).
-sam
On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 2:30 AM, Chris Hyman <chris@cyberdyne-services.com> wrote:
Also what hardware are people having the audio issues with?
Could it be more related to the hardware the audio software is running on, more than RV itself?

Chris
On 26 Jul 2016, at 01:57, grace rante thompson <graziee@gmail.com> wrote:
Did you guys have any luck with USB soundcards?
-g

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 7:54 AM, Samuel Nair <samuelnair@gmail.com> wrote:
To add a little more info to this old thread. After have frustrating results with pulseaudio on Centos-6.5 (audio out of sync, audio crackling/popping), i began testing rv-6.2.6 with dmix & with a couple of audio cards that have hardware mixers (SB Audigy-2 SB350 & SB Audigy-4 SB610, i picked a couple of older cards that were easy to order online).
I used the Synccheck3 to do my testing (this product is discontinued, but you could get something like http://www.sync-one2.co.uk/). Using their test footage i got very good results with both dmix and the hardware cards (difference between audio & video avg: 0.16 frames max: 0.3 frames)
Im starting to roll out dmix to a few animators to see how stable it is, but i suspect i might need to spring for a bunch of these Soundblaster cards.The next tests will be on Centos-7, but i am fairly convinced that i will need to rip out pulseaudio again. I don't think this is necessarily an issue with pulseaudio, but more about rv+pluseaudio.
-sam

On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
We ended up using plain Alsa, the trick with RV to make it work 'properly' was to teak the RV setting "lock audio device" to off. Its been working like a champ since, sync's perfectly.
-g

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 4:36 AM, Erik Johansson <erik.johansson@fido.se> wrote:
64bit mix of 6.2 through 6.5
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Ben De Luca <bdeluca@gmail.com> wrote:
but what specific os version?
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Erik Johansson <erik.johansson@fido.se> wrote:
CentOS. Tried all their different Sound outputs. Alsa pre, Alsa safe, PortAudio, Platform Audio. None works reliably.
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 3:15 AM, Ben De Luca <bdeluca@gmail.com> wrote:
what os and sound output are you using? what is your sound format? what version of RV? tweak are pretty responsive and I know as of SIGGRAPH they were looking at their audio code again.
On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:22 AM, Erik Johansson <erik.johansson@fido.se> wrote:
It's just RV. vlc, gnomeplayer and etc play the videos without issues and there is plenty of cpu and ram resources available.
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Francois Chardavoine <chardavo@imageworks.com> wrote:
When sound goes out of sync, is it _only_ in RV, or does it also affect other apps? We don't use RV, but have had similar issues that appear to be related to PulseAudio arbitrarily deciding to increase its buffer size (possibly because of CPU load), which causes the latency. In those cases, killing/restarting PulseAudio or rebooting fixes it... albeit temporarily until the problem shows up again.
Francois.

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:03 AM, Erik Johansson <erik.johansson@fido.se> wrote:
Bumping this thread. We can't for the love of it get RV on linux to playback video files with audio in a reliable way. Sound goes out of sync or video jumps strangely.
This combined with a bunch of other issues makes me wonder if there are any alternative that is good and works on CentOs?
//Erik
On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 9:16 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
sort-of. :) I wanted to see if you are using it so we didn't spend the time trying it, was attempting to save some time as there was a bit of pressure to sort it out by the day's end. imagine that. :)

Turns out after looking into the issue more, it was a USB 3.0 problem... When we moved the audio device to a USB 2.0 bus, the problem went away.. funny that....

anyway thanks for taking the time to respond James, have a great day!

-g

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM, James Pearson <james-p@moving-picture.com> wrote:
Greg Whynott wrote:
Have you use this set up with RV as described in my original post?

I can playback two quicktime movies with sound using separate instances of RV at the same time without a problem - if that is what you mean?

James Pearson
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Chris Hyman @ July 26, 2016, 5:35 a.m.
Also what hardware are people having the audio issues with?
Could it be more related to the hardware the audio software is running on, more than RV itself?

Chris
On 26 Jul 2016, at 01:57, grace rante thompson <graziee@gmail.com> wrote:
-g 

To add a little more info to this old thread. After have frustrating results with pulseaudio on Centos-6.5 (audio out of sync, audio crackling/popping), i began testing rv-6.2.6 with dmix & with a couple of audio cards that have hardware mixers (SB Audigy-2 SB350 & SB Audigy-4 SB610, i picked a couple of older cards that were easy to order online).
I used the Synccheck3 to do my testing (this product is discontinued, but you could get something like http://www.sync-one2.co.uk/). Using their test footage i got very good results with both dmix and the hardware cards (difference between audio & video avg: 0.16 frames max: 0.3 frames)
Im starting to roll out dmix to a few animators to see how stable it is, but i suspect i might need to spring for a bunch of these Soundblaster cards.The next tests will be on Centos-7, but i am fairly convinced that i will need to rip out pulseaudio again. I don't think this is necessarily an issue with pulseaudio, but more about rv+pluseaudio.
-sam

We ended up using plain Alsa,  the trick with RV to make it work 'properly' was to teak the RV setting "lock audio device" to off.  Its been working like a champ since,  sync's perfectly.
-g

CentOS. Tried all their different Sound outputs. Alsa pre, Alsa safe, PortAudio, Platform Audio. None works reliably.
what os and sound output are you using? what is your sound format? what version of RV? tweak are pretty responsive and I know as of SIGGRAPH they were looking at their audio code again. 
It's just RV. vlc, gnomeplayer and etc play the videos without issues and there is plenty of cpu and ram resources available.
On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Francois Chardavoine <chardavo@imageworks.com> wrote:
When sound goes out of sync, is it _only_ in RV, or does it also affect other apps? We don't use RV, but have had similar issues that appear to be related to PulseAudio arbitrarily deciding to increase its buffer size (possibly because of CPU load), which causes the latency. In those cases, killing/restarting PulseAudio or rebooting fixes it... albeit temporarily until the problem shows up again.
Francois.

Bumping this thread. We can't for the love of it get RV on linux to playback video files with audio in a reliable way. Sound goes out of sync or video jumps strangely.
This combined with a bunch of other issues makes me wonder if there are any alternative that is good and works on CentOs?
//Erik
sort-of.  :)    I wanted to see if you are using it so we didn't spend the time trying it, was attempting to save some time as there was a bit of pressure to sort it out by the day's end.  imagine that.  :)

Turns out after looking into the issue more,  it was a USB 3.0 problem...  When we moved the audio device to a USB 2.0 bus,  the problem went away..   funny that....

anyway thanks for taking the time to respond James,  have a great day!

-g

On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM, James Pearson <james-p@moving-picture.com> wrote:
Greg Whynott wrote:

I can playback two quicktime movies with sound using separate instances of RV at the same time without a problem - if that is what you mean?

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Grace Rante Thompson @ July 25, 2016, 9 p.m.
-g

-sam

We ended up using plain Alsa, the trick with RV to make it work 'properly' was to teak the RV setting "lock audio device" to off. Its been working like a champ since, sync's perfectly.
-g

Francois.

//Erik
sort-of. :) I wanted to see if you are using it so we didn't spend the time trying it, was attempting to save some time as there was a bit of pressure to sort it out by the day's end. imagine that. :)

Turns out after looking into the issue more, it was a USB 3.0 problem... When we moved the audio device to a USB 2.0 bus, the problem went away.. funny that....

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Samuel Nair @ July 18, 2016, 4:05 p.m.
-sam

-g

Francois.

//Erik

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Dan Mons @ July 18, 2016, 4:05 p.m.
Pulse Audio, coded by one Lennart Poettering. The same fine fellow responsible for Avahi, Network Manager and Systemd. His resume is more or less a list of software I remove to make a computer work properly. -Dan ---------------- Dan Mons - VFX Sysadmin Cutting Edge http://cuttingedge.com.au On 24 May 2016 at 00:54, Samuel Nair wrote: > To add a little more info to this old thread. After have frustrating results > with pulseaudio on Centos-6.5 (audio out of sync, audio crackling/popping), > i began testing rv-6.2.6 with dmix & with a couple of audio cards that have > hardware mixers (SB Audigy-2 SB350 & SB Audigy-4 SB610, i picked a couple of > older cards that were easy to order online). > > I used the Synccheck3 to do my testing (this product is discontinued, but > you could get something like http://www.sync-one2.co.uk/). Using their test > footage i got very good results with both dmix and the hardware cards > (difference between audio & video avg: 0.16 frames max: 0.3 frames) > > Im starting to roll out dmix to a few animators to see how stable it is, but > i suspect i might need to spring for a bunch of these Soundblaster cards.The > next tests will be on Centos-7, but i am fairly convinced that i will need > to rip out pulseaudio again. I don't think this is necessarily an issue with > pulseaudio, but more about rv+pluseaudio. > > -sam > > > > > > On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM, greg whynott > wrote: >> >> We ended up using plain Alsa, the trick with RV to make it work >> 'properly' was to teak the RV setting "lock audio device" to off. Its been >> working like a champ since, sync's perfectly. >> >> -g >> >> >> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 4:36 AM, Erik Johansson >> wrote: >>> >>> 64bit mix of 6.2 through 6.5 >>> >>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Ben De Luca wrote: >>>> >>>> but what specific os version? >>>> >>>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Erik Johansson >>>> wrote: >>>>> >>>>> CentOS. Tried all their different Sound outputs. Alsa pre, Alsa safe, >>>>> PortAudio, Platform Audio. None works reliably. >>>>> >>>>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 3:15 AM, Ben De Luca wrote: >>>>>> >>>>>> what os and sound output are you using? what is your sound format? >>>>>> what version of RV? tweak are pretty responsive and I know as of SIGGRAPH >>>>>> they were looking at their audio code again. >>>>>> >>>>>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:22 AM, Erik Johansson >>>>>> wrote: >>>>>>> >>>>>>> It's just RV. vlc, gnomeplayer and etc play the videos without issues >>>>>>> and there is plenty of cpu and ram resources available. >>>>>>> >>>>>>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Francois Chardavoine >>>>>>> wrote: >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> When sound goes out of sync, is it _only_ in RV, or does it also >>>>>>>> affect other apps? We don't use RV, but have had similar issues that appear >>>>>>>> to be related to PulseAudio arbitrarily deciding to increase its buffer size >>>>>>>> (possibly because of CPU load), which causes the latency. In those cases, >>>>>>>> killing/restarting PulseAudio or rebooting fixes it... albeit temporarily >>>>>>>> until the problem shows up again. >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> Francois. >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:03 AM, Erik Johansson >>>>>>>> wrote: >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Bumping this thread. We can't for the love of it get RV on linux to >>>>>>>>> playback video files with audio in a reliable way. Sound goes out of sync or >>>>>>>>> video jumps strangely. >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> This combined with a bunch of other issues makes me wonder if there >>>>>>>>> are any alternative that is good and works on CentOs? >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> //Erik >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 9:16 PM, greg whynott >>>>>>>>> wrote: >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> sort-of. :) I wanted to see if you are using it so we didn't >>>>>>>>>> spend the time trying it, was attempting to save some time as there was a >>>>>>>>>> bit of pressure to sort it out by the day's end. imagine that. :) >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> Turns out after looking into the issue more, it was a USB 3.0 >>>>>>>>>> problem... When we moved the audio device to a USB 2.0 bus, the problem >>>>>>>>>> went away.. funny that.... >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> anyway thanks for taking the time to respond James, have a great >>>>>>>>>> day! >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> -g >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM, James Pearson >>>>>>>>>> wrote: >>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> Greg Whynott wrote: >>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>> Have you use this set up with RV as described in my original >>>>>>>>>>>> post? >>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> I can playback two quicktime movies with sound using separate >>>>>>>>>>> instances of RV at the same time without a problem - if that is what you >>>>>>>>>>> mean? >>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> James Pearson >>>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >>>>>>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >>>>>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> -- >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> Erik Johansson >>>>>>>>> Pipeline TD >>>>>>>>> Fido >>>>>>>>> Rosenlundsgatan 36 >>>>>>>>> 118 53 Stockholm, Sweden >>>>>>>>> www.fido.se >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >>>>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> >>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >>>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> -- >>>>>>> >>>>>>> Erik Johansson >>>>>>> Pipeline TD >>>>>>> Fido >>>>>>> Rosenlundsgatan 36 >>>>>>> 118 53 Stockholm, Sweden >>>>>>> www.fido.se >>>>>>> >>>>>>> >>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> >>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> -- >>>>> >>>>> Erik Johansson >>>>> Pipeline TD >>>>> Fido >>>>> Rosenlundsgatan 36 >>>>> 118 53 Stockholm, Sweden >>>>> www.fido.se >>>>> >>>>> >>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe >>>> >>>> >>>> >>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe >>> >>> >>> >>> >>> -- >>> >>> Erik Johansson >>> Pipeline TD >>> Fido >>> Rosenlundsgatan 36 >>> 118 53 Stockholm, Sweden >>> www.fido.se >>> >>> >>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe >> >> >> >> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to >> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe > > > > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to > mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Dan Young @ July 18, 2016, 4:05 p.m.
Heh - I can't remember exactly how the settings worked out when the golden combination went, but a fairly default PA setup shouldn't be too hard to get wangled into RV - but you'd need to check RVs settings (perhaps you have a NAS install, and could setup a global setting for it) - have you bothered reaching to Tweak's support? They were pretty helpful when I was reaching out previously with similar issues. All came good in the end.

I get the hate for LP because of avahi and systemd, but I actually think pulseaudio is kind of a step in the right direction, atleast in the grand scheme of the things he's made. \_()_/
On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 5:50 PM, Dan Mons <dmons@cuttingedge.com.au> wrote:
Pulse Audio, coded by one Lennart Poettering. The same fine fellow
responsible for Avahi, Network Manager and Systemd.

His resume is more or less a list of software I remove to make a
computer work properly.

-Dan

----------------
Dan Mons - VFX Sysadmin
Cutting Edge
http://cuttingedge.com.au

On 24 May 2016 at 00:54, Samuel Nair <samuelnair@gmail.com> wrote:
> To add a little more info to this old thread. After have frustrating results
> with pulseaudio on Centos-6.5 (audio out of sync, audio crackling/popping),
> i began testing rv-6.2.6 with dmix & with a couple of audio cards that have
> hardware mixers (SB Audigy-2 SB350 & SB Audigy-4 SB610, i picked a couple of
> older cards that were easy to order online).
>
> I used the Synccheck3 to do my testing (this product is discontinued, but
> you could get something like http://www.sync-one2.co.uk/). Using their test
> footage i got very good results with both dmix and the hardware cards
> (difference between audio & video avg: 0.16 frames max: 0.3 frames)
>
> Im starting to roll out dmix to a few animators to see how stable it is, but
> i suspect i might need to spring for a bunch of these Soundblaster cards.The
> next tests will be on Centos-7, but i am fairly convinced that i will need
> to rip out pulseaudio again. I don't think this is necessarily an issue with
> pulseaudio, but more about rv+pluseaudio.
>
> -sam
>
>
>
>
>
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 1:05 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> We ended up using plain Alsa, the trick with RV to make it work
>> 'properly' was to teak the RV setting "lock audio device" to off. Its been
>> working like a champ since, sync's perfectly.
>>
>> -g
>>
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 4:36 AM, Erik Johansson <erik.johansson@fido.se>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> 64bit mix of 6.2 through 6.5
>>>
>>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 10:31 AM, Ben De Luca <bdeluca@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>
>>>> but what specific os version?
>>>>
>>>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 4:50 PM, Erik Johansson <erik.johansson@fido.se>
>>>> wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>> CentOS. Tried all their different Sound outputs. Alsa pre, Alsa safe,
>>>>> PortAudio, Platform Audio. None works reliably.
>>>>>
>>>>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 3:15 AM, Ben De Luca <bdeluca@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> what os and sound output are you using? what is your sound format?
>>>>>> what version of RV? tweak are pretty responsive and I know as of SIGGRAPH
>>>>>> they were looking at their audio code again.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 1:22 AM, Erik Johansson
>>>>>> <erik.johansson@fido.se> wrote:
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> It's just RV. vlc, gnomeplayer and etc play the videos without issues
>>>>>>> and there is plenty of cpu and ram resources available.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:10 PM, Francois Chardavoine
>>>>>>> <chardavo@imageworks.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> When sound goes out of sync, is it _only_ in RV, or does it also
>>>>>>>> affect other apps? We don't use RV, but have had similar issues that appear
>>>>>>>> to be related to PulseAudio arbitrarily deciding to increase its buffer size
>>>>>>>> (possibly because of CPU load), which causes the latency. In those cases,
>>>>>>>> killing/restarting PulseAudio or rebooting fixes it... albeit temporarily
>>>>>>>> until the problem shows up again.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> Francois.
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 6:03 AM, Erik Johansson
>>>>>>>> <erik.johansson@fido.se> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Bumping this thread. We can't for the love of it get RV on linux to
>>>>>>>>> playback video files with audio in a reliable way. Sound goes out of sync or
>>>>>>>>> video jumps strangely.
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> This combined with a bunch of other issues makes me wonder if there
>>>>>>>>> are any alternative that is good and works on CentOs?
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> //Erik
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 9:16 PM, greg whynott
>>>>>>>>> <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> sort-of. :) I wanted to see if you are using it so we didn't
>>>>>>>>>> spend the time trying it, was attempting to save some time as there was a
>>>>>>>>>> bit of pressure to sort it out by the day's end. imagine that. :)
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> Turns out after looking into the issue more, it was a USB 3.0
>>>>>>>>>> problem... When we moved the audio device to a USB 2.0 bus, the problem
>>>>>>>>>> went away.. funny that....
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> anyway thanks for taking the time to respond James, have a great
>>>>>>>>>> day!
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> -g
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> On Wed, Sep 24, 2014 at 12:53 PM, James Pearson
>>>>>>>>>> <james-p@moving-picture.com> wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> Greg Whynott wrote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>> Have you use this set up with RV as described in my original
>>>>>>>>>>>> post?
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> I can playback two quicktime movies with sound using separate
>>>>>>>>>>> instances of RV at the same time without a problem - if that is what you
>>>>>>>>>>> mean?
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>> James Pearson
>>>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>>>>>>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>>>>>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> Erik Johansson
>>>>>>>>> Pipeline TD
>>>>>>>>> Fido
>>>>>>>>> Rosenlundsgatan 36
>>>>>>>>> 118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
>>>>>>>>> www.fido.se
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>>>>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>>>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> --
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> Erik Johansson
>>>>>>> Pipeline TD
>>>>>>> Fido
>>>>>>> Rosenlundsgatan 36
>>>>>>> 118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
>>>>>>> www.fido.se
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> --
>>>>>
>>>>> Erik Johansson
>>>>> Pipeline TD
>>>>> Fido
>>>>> Rosenlundsgatan 36
>>>>> 118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
>>>>> www.fido.se
>>>>>
>>>>>
>>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> Erik Johansson
>>> Pipeline TD
>>> Fido
>>> Rosenlundsgatan 36
>>> 118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
>>> www.fido.se
>>>
>>>
>>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>>
>>
>>
>> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
>> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
>
>
>
> To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to
> mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--

Framestore
Dan Young Lead Systems Engineer
London New York Los Angeles Montral
T+1 212 775 0600
135 Spring Street, New York NY 10012
Twitter Facebook framestore.com

Response from Dan Mons @ July 18, 2016, 4:05 p.m.
On 24 May 2016 at 07:56, Dan Young wrote: > > I get the hate for LP because of avahi and systemd, but I actually think pulseaudio is kind of a step in the right direction > I have no qualms with what Pulse Audio is trying to achieve. The list of problems it aims to solve is admirable, as are its features. However, I should not need a 8-core 3GHz CPU to listen to audio without skipping and buffering. Digital devices far less powerful than this have been delivering good quality audio for some years now. As I've said elsewhere, Poettering is clearly young and full of enthusiasm. What he needs, like all young and enthusiastic folk, is a good mentor to ground him in reality. -Dan To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Greg Whynott @ Nov. 20, 2014, 12:10 p.m.
-g

Francois.

//Erik

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Erik Johansson @ Nov. 20, 2014, 4:40 a.m.
Francois.

//Erik

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Ben De Luca @ Nov. 20, 2014, 4:35 a.m.
Francois.

//Erik

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Erik Johansson @ Nov. 20, 2014, 3:55 a.m.
Francois.

//Erik

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Ben De Luca @ Nov. 19, 2014, 9:20 p.m.
Francois.

//Erik

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Erik Johansson @ Nov. 19, 2014, 12:25 p.m.
Francois.

//Erik

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Francois Chardavoine @ Nov. 19, 2014, 12:15 p.m.
Francois.
//Erik

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Erik Johansson @ Nov. 19, 2014, 9:05 a.m.
//Erik

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

--

Erik Johansson
Pipeline TD
Fido
Rosenlundsgatan 36
118 53 Stockholm, Sweden
www.fido.se

Response from Greg Whynott @ Sept. 24, 2014, 3:20 p.m.

-g

Greg Whynott wrote:

James Pearson

Response from James Pearson @ Sept. 24, 2014, 12:55 p.m.
Greg Whynott wrote: > Have you use this set up with RV as described in my original post? I can playback two quicktime movies with sound using separate instances of RV at the same time without a problem - if that is what you mean? James Pearson To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Greg Whynott @ Sept. 24, 2014, 12:30 p.m.
Have you use this set up with RV as described in my original post? G Sent from my iPhone > On Sep 24, 2014, at 11:16 AM, James Pearson wrote: > > greg whynott wrote: >> Anyone running Tweak RV on linux? >> Ran into a problem where ALSA can only play one stream(it doesn't want to >> share the device amongst processes) , if you open a review/video window it >> plays audio fine, subsequent opened players have no audio. >> The manual suggests using PluseAudio or JACK. We have had issues with >> PluseAudio using large amounts of CPU and becoming non-responsive. It goes >> on to say to consider using JACK with PluseAudio.. >> anyway was just wondering what you decided on using if you do use Tweak RV >> on linux. > > ALSA can be configured to use its own 'dmix' plugin which should work with multiple audio streams > > Although hand-crafting ALSA configs is a bit of a dark art ... > > James Pearson > To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from James Pearson @ Sept. 24, 2014, 11:20 a.m.
greg whynott wrote: > Anyone running Tweak RV on linux? > > Ran into a problem where ALSA can only play one stream(it doesn't want to > share the device amongst processes) , if you open a review/video window it > plays audio fine, subsequent opened players have no audio. > > The manual suggests using PluseAudio or JACK. We have had issues with > PluseAudio using large amounts of CPU and becoming non-responsive. It goes > on to say to consider using JACK with PluseAudio.. > > anyway was just wondering what you decided on using if you do use Tweak RV > on linux. ALSA can be configured to use its own 'dmix' plugin which should work with multiple audio streams Although hand-crafting ALSA configs is a bit of a dark art ... James Pearson To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe