Sponsors
Sponsor Products
StudioSysAdmins On-Line
posted by John Hickson  on March 20, 2017, 1:41 p.m. (8 months, 2 days ago)
6 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

All,

I know there has been a lot of communication over the past week with the introduction to Slack as a means of group communication.

Here are some of my thoughts:

a) I prefer everyone to use the website - this was proper accounts are being used and messages can be tracked by person instead of anonymous.

- It was always intended to have our own app for better updated/communication using your phone/tablet etc.

b) Our old mailman e-mail thread is slowly being phased out - not very many requests to join that and the number using it decreases.

- We do have a (crappy implementation) of that list going to/from the website forums - so people can use either and see everything.

c) Slack -I have had several requests from our local area group leaders allow it and give it a try.

- It does have an API - so hopefully I can set up something similar to (B) and import/export to the site

- Once this is implemented, you will be able to select any of the 3 to communicate.

Eventually (as stated in A), the goal is to have our own APP so there is the website or the SSA app - and you see everything from both.  Standard E-Mail and Slack do not match the vision I have on what needs to be seen by everyone, but as long as people are communicating that is great.

I understand that it would be nice if everyone is in the same place though.  Time has been the biggest deterent the past year or so unfortunately, I will be looking at ways to make time to get some of the things done that are needed going forward.

Thank you;
John Hickson

Thread Tags:
  social 

Response from Ant Newman @ March 25, 2017, 8:50 p.m.
On 2017-03-20 10:41, John Hickson wrote: > b) Our old mailman e-mail thread is slowly being phased out - not very > many requests to join that and the number using it decreases. > > - We do have a (crappy implementation) of that list going > to/from the website forums - so people can use either and see everything. > This is a shame. At the moment the crappy implementation is the thing that spews out non-RFC2822-compliant email as a result of website posts, and this is not even a pale shadow on Mailman. Personally I turned off mail from the website because it can't be threaded correctly in any mail reader I tried, and web forums aren't a preference for many people. Not everyone uses GMail. I'm not even some old fuddy duddy telling the kids to get off my lawn; I use Slack for other purposes besides IRC and all the standard means that sysadmins usually use to talk to one another. I just can't abide shockingly naive and poorly carried-out implementations of decades-old proven technology. Sorry if this is a personal attack on your thing, but I think it needs to be said. Ant To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Shane McEwan @ March 22, 2017, 6:15 p.m.
On 22/03/17 17:28, Brandon Lindauer wrote: > With that out of the way... I didn't even know you could post on the > website. I thought it was all email that occasionally got indexed to the > site. Something like google groups might be good. But I don't care so > much about the medium. I'll follow the community because that's why I > come here. Whatever happens just don't choose Discourse as the forum software. A mailing list I belong to recently switched from Mailman to Discourse and it has almost made the E-Mail-only users revolt. It provides a great web experience but the E-Mail gateway is awful. Google Groups, on the other hand, does a great job of both. Shane. To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Brandon Lindauer @ March 22, 2017, 2:30 a.m.
I think people are going to communicate in the way that's easiest for them. I agree that it's cool that I can scroll through my email and find conversations from a year ago that are relevant to me today. It's also neat that occasionally google brings up a page on SSA. But most of these discussions are not had for posterity, but rather for the here and now. I have a problem with someone saying there is only one way i can communicate. For those against an SSA slack channel I say: stop trying to control people. 
With that out of the way... I didn't even know you could post on the website. I thought it was all email that occasionally got indexed to the site. Something like google groups might be good. But I don't care so much about the medium. I'll follow the community because that's why I come here. 
Just my 2cents.

On Mar 20, 2017, at 10:41 AM, John Hickson <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

All,

I know there has been a lot of communication over the past week with the introduction to Slack as a means of group communication.

a) I prefer everyone to use the website - this was proper accounts are being used and messages can be tracked by person instead of anonymous.

- It was always intended to have our own app for better updated/communication using your phone/tablet etc.

b) Our old mailman e-mail thread is slowly being phased out - not very many requests to join that and the number using it decreases.

- We do have a (crappy implementation) of that list going to/from the website forums - so people can use either and see everything.

c) Slack -I have had several requests from our local area group leaders allow it and give it a try.

- It does have an API - so hopefully I can set up something similar to (B) and import/export to the site

- Once this is implemented, you will be able to select any of the 3 to communicate.

Eventually (as stated in A), the goal is to have our own APP so there is the website or the SSA app - and you see everything from both.  Standard E-Mail and Slack do not match the vision I have on what needs to be seen by everyone, but as long as people are communicating that is great.

I understand that it would be nice if everyone is in the same place though.  Time has been the biggest deterent the past year or so unfortunately, I will be looking at ways to make time to get some of the things done that are needed going forward.

Thank you;
John Hickson

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Ben Roeder @ March 21, 2017, 6:45 a.m.
+1
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 7:31 PM, John Hickson <John.Hickson@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Thanks for your input Saker. I will look at the google groups options as well.

I see a lot more that can be done on the current site to bring it all together. Just have to make the time :)

-John

On 2017-03-20 14:23, Saker Klippsten wrote:

Thanks John for coming out and speaking your vision. Like all things- It evolves faster than one can keep up with. Personally speaking with all the respect in the world. I have never used the SSA website. I have only ever communicated via E-Mail. Heck I can't even remember the password I used to setup my SSA account because that's how often I do NOT log into it. Its a hassle to go to a webpage to login and post a message or reply to that. Email is the defacto way to communicate. I personally think that google groups is the only real solution out there that can replace the mail-man implementation and make it widely accessible and searchable by all. We ran the sysadminbash group prior to SSA on google and it was very easy to moderate etc.. I would then focus my time and efforts on creating ( from the million Templates out there ) a SSA wordpress blog where you can post about events and link back to into via posting in the google groups. There so many plugins for it... Here are just a few. Google Groups for Word Press https://wordpress.org/plugins/odynogooglegroups/screenshots/ Slack Posting Notifications https://wordpress.org/plugins/ultimate-slack-notifications/ https://wordpress.org/plugins/dorzki-notifications-to-slack/screenshots/ Trying to control a bunch of Sysadmins is a science experiment unto itself - its akin to herding cats ( many many different personalities) . I am amazed its held up this long but communication forms are always in constant flux. Slack is here today. At SxSW last week I saw a 4 other slacks with cool features trying to get in on what I feel is was IRC and 80/90's but who's keeping track. Whats old is new. Whatever this group decides. I think its important to stay together in one form or fashion. I Joined the slack channel to see what it would be like.., but even after a week.. trying to scroll back and read the chats is already annoying.. My Vote will still be for email but I would prefer the group move to Google Groups. Appoint a few of Moderators to approve join requests. What is the SSA DR Plan? If any? I think GG is the best solution to ensure it lives on with Zero maintenance on your part to maintain it. My 2 cents. -S
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:41 AM, John Hickson <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

All,

Eventually (as stated in A), the goal is to have our own APP so there is the website or the SSA app - and you see everything from both. Standard E-Mail and Slack do not match the vision I have on what needs to be seen by everyone, but as long as people are communicating that is great.

I understand that it would be nice if everyone is in the same place though. Time has been the biggest deterent the past year or so unfortunately, I will be looking at ways to make time to get some of the things done that are needed going forward.

Thank you;
John Hickson

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from John Hickson @ March 20, 2017, 3:35 p.m.

Thanks for your input Saker. I will look at the google groups options as well.

I see a lot more that can be done on the current site to bring it all together. Just have to make the time :)

-John

On 2017-03-20 14:23, Saker Klippsten wrote:

Thanks John for coming out and speaking your vision. Like all things- It evolves faster than one can keep up with.  Personally speaking with all the respect in the world. I have never used the SSA website. I have only ever communicated via E-Mail. Heck I can't even remember the password I used to setup my SSA account because that's how often I do NOT log into it. Its a hassle to go to a webpage to login and post a message or reply to that. Email is the defacto way to communicate.  I personally think that google groups is the only real solution out there that can replace the mail-man implementation and make it widely accessible and  searchable by all. We ran the sysadminbash group prior to SSA on google and it was very easy to moderate etc..  I would then focus my time and efforts on creating ( from the million Templates out there ) a SSA wordpress blog where you can post about events and link back to into via posting in the google groups. There so many plugins for it...  Here are just a few. Google Groups for Word Press https://wordpress.org/plugins/odynogooglegroups/screenshots/ Slack Posting Notifications https://wordpress.org/plugins/ultimate-slack-notifications/ https://wordpress.org/plugins/dorzki-notifications-to-slack/screenshots/ Trying to control a bunch of Sysadmins is a science experiment unto itself - its akin to herding cats ( many many different personalities) . I am amazed its held up this long but communication forms  are  always in constant flux. Slack is here today. At SxSW last week I saw a 4 other slacks with cool features trying to get in on what I feel is was IRC and 80/90's but who's keeping track. Whats old is new. Whatever this group decides. I think its important to stay together in one form or fashion.  I Joined the slack channel to see what it would be like.., but even after a week..  trying to scroll back and read the chats is already annoying..  My Vote will still be for email but I would prefer the group move to Google Groups. Appoint a few of Moderators to approve join requests.  What is the SSA DR Plan? If any? I think GG is the best solution to ensure it lives on with Zero maintenance on your part  to maintain it.  My 2 cents.  -S
On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 10:41 AM, John Hickson <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

All,

Thank you;
John Hickson

Response from Saker Klippsten @ March 20, 2017, 2:25 p.m.
Thanks John for coming out and speaking your vision.
Like all things- It evolves faster than one can keep up with.

Personally speaking with all the respect in the world. I have never used the SSA website. I have only ever communicated via E-Mail. Heck I can't even remember the password I used to setup my SSA account because that's how often I do NOT log into it. Its a hassle to go to a webpage to login and post a message or reply to that. Email is the defacto way to communicate.
I personally think that google groups is the only real solution out there that can replace the mail-man implementation and make it widely accessible and searchable by all. We ran the sysadminbash group prior to SSA on google and it was very easy to moderate etc..
I would then focus my time and efforts on creating ( from the million Templates out there ) a SSA wordpress blog where you can post about events and link back to into via posting in the google groups.There so many plugins for it...
Here are just a few.
Google Groups for Word Presshttps://wordpress.org/plugins/odynogooglegroups/screenshots/
Slack Posting Notificationshttps://wordpress.org/plugins/ultimate-slack-notifications/
https://wordpress.org/plugins/dorzki-notifications-to-slack/screenshots/

Trying to control a bunch of Sysadmins is a science experiment unto itself - its akin to herding cats ( many many different personalities) . I am amazed its held up this long but communication forms are always in constant flux.Slack is here today. At SxSW last week I saw a 4 other slacks with cool features trying to get in on what I feel is was IRC and 80/90's but who's keeping track. Whats old is new.
Whatever this group decides. I think its important to stay together in one form or fashion.I Joined the slack channel to see what it would be like.., but even after a week.. trying to scroll back and read the chats is already annoying..
My Vote will still be for email but I would prefer the group move to Google Groups. Appoint a few of Moderators to approve join requests.
What is the SSA DR Plan? If any? I think GG is the best solution to ensure it lives on with Zero maintenance on your part to maintain it.

My 2 cents.
-S

All,

Eventually (as stated in A), the goal is to have our own APP so there is the website or the SSA app - and you see everything from both. Standard E-Mail and Slack do not match the vision I have on what needs to be seen by everyone, but as long as people are communicating that is great.

I understand that it would be nice if everyone is in the same place though. Time has been the biggest deterent the past year or so unfortunately, I will be looking at ways to make time to get some of the things done that are needed going forward.

Thank you;
John Hickson