Sponsors
Sponsor Products
aerender on OSX
posted by Greg Dickie  on Oct. 6, 2017, 3:15 p.m. (1 year, 11 months, 12 days ago)
3 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Hi,
This may be stupid question but it looks like aerender on OSX will not run because it cannot connect to the window manager. It's command line, isn't that the whole idea?
Any ideas?
Thanks,Greg

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Will Rosecrans @ Oct. 6, 2017, 7:35 p.m.

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 3:26 PM, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca> wrote:
Thanks for the info. At least I know Im not crazy. Just not sure what the point of aerender is then.

My understanding is just that aerender was just a punishment for the people who asked for a command line renderer. I can only imagine that Adobe is shocked that anybody successfully uses it.

Adobe and MACs are silly.
Thanks,Greg

--Greg Dickiejust a guy514-983-5400
On Oct 6, 2017, at 17:35, <robin@uberware.net> <robin@uberware.net> wrote:

Aerender is a hack that wraps the entirely GUI based After Effects application with a basic command line render interface. The AE core itself still depends directly on the Window Manager.

You will not be able to run aerender from a render manager that is running as a service/daemon for this reason. (There are some hacks, like running with elevated privileges, that can band-aid a partial solution, but you will always run into a problem sooner or later, either trying to run multiple instances, or accessing some source asset, or something similar.)

If you run your render manager as a normal process, this goes away, because the normal process is running under the context of a user logged in to the console and thus these processes have access to the Window Manager.

Ive complained about this to AE many times, but I would not hold my breath expecting them to improve it any time soon.

-robin

Robin Scher | Uberware | 213.448.0443 | robin@uberware.net | www.uberware.net

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Greg Dickie
Sent: Friday, October 6, 2017 12:14 PM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com
Subject: [SSA-Discuss] aerender on OSX

Hi,

This may be stupid question but it looks like aerender on OSX will not run because it cannot connect to the window manager. It's command line, isn't that the whole idea?

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy

514-983-5400

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Greg Dickie @ Oct. 6, 2017, 6:30 p.m.
Thanks for the info. At least I know Im not crazy. Just not sure what the point of aerender is then. 
Adobe and MACs are silly. 
Thanks,Greg

--Greg Dickiejust a guy514-983-5400
On Oct 6, 2017, at 17:35, <robin@uberware.net> <robin@uberware.net> wrote:

Aerender is a hack that wraps the entirely GUI based After Effects application with a basic command line render interface. The AE core itself still depends directly on the Window Manager.

You will not be able to run aerender from a render manager that is running as a service/daemon for this reason. (There are some hacks, like running with elevated privileges, that can band-aid a partial solution, but you will always run into a problem sooner or later, either trying to run multiple instances, or accessing some source asset, or something similar.)

If you run your render manager as a normal process, this goes away, because the normal process is running under the context of a user logged in to the console and thus these processes have access to the Window Manager.

Ive complained about this to AE many times, but I would not hold my breath expecting them to improve it any time soon.

-robin

Robin Scher  |  Uberware  |  213.448.0443  |  robin@uberware.net  |  www.uberware.net

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of Greg Dickie

Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg 

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy

514-983-5400

Response from Robin Scher @ Oct. 6, 2017, 5:40 p.m.

-robin

Robin Scher | Uberware | 213.448.0443 | robin@uberware.net | www.uberware.net

Hi,

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Greg 

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy

514-983-5400