Sponsors
Sponsor Products
detecting and limiting bandwidth
posted by Michael Stein  on Oct. 9, 2017, 12:35 p.m. (11 days ago)
9 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Asking for a friend.
We want to able to monitor and limit the bandwidth in and out of an Apple TV. Unfortunately the switch that we have (Netgear 10g XS-728T) doesn't allow QoS to that level (if that's even the right thing to do).
Wondering what sort of Systems wizardry exists in the universe to do this. Some sort of hardware device? Pass through on a PC with some sort of limiting software?
Any help appreciated. My friend thanks you.stein

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins mikrotik limit-bandwidth 

Response from Saker Klippsten @ Oct. 11, 2017, 1:45 p.m.
@Michael I just took a look online for this particular switch and it says it supports port based rate limiting for the switch you mentioned. Have they taken a look at this feature already built in?

https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/smart/10g-smart-switch.aspx#tab-featuresPort-based rate limiting: Egress only (XS708T/XS712Tv2/XS716T) Ingress and egress (XS728T/XS748T)

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 10:24 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
Oh snap!
On 10 Oct. 2017 04:47, "Dan Mons" <dmons@cuttingedge.com.au> wrote:
Cheap/nasty/rushed method I've used in the past is to just force the port on the switch to 10mbit/s in the switch config.
-Dan

Dan Mons - Senior Systems Administrator

CUTTINGEDGE /

90 Victoria St, West End, Brisbane, QLD, 4101

T+ 61 7 3013 6200

Edmons@cuttingedge.com.au| Wwww.cuttingedge.com.au

/SYD/BNE/TYO

On 10 October 2017 at 02:32, Michael Stein <steinomyte@gmail.com> wrote:
Asking for a friend.
We want to able to monitor and limit the bandwidth in and out of an Apple TV. Unfortunately the switch that we have (Netgear 10g XS-728T) doesn't allow QoS to that level (if that's even the right thing to do).
Wondering what sort of Systems wizardry exists in the universe to do this. Some sort of hardware device? Pass through on a PC with some sort of limiting software?
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Thisemailis confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient.If you have received thisemailin error please notify the author and delete it immediately. Thisemailis not to be distributed without the author's written consent.Unauthorised forwarding, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited and may be a breach of copyright. Any views expressed in thisemailare those of the individual sender unless specifically stated to be the views ofCutting EdgePost Pty Ltd (Cutting Edge). Although thisemailhas been sent in the belief that it is virus-free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free. No responsibility is accepted byCutting Edgefor any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of thisemail. Thisemailmay contain legally privileged information and privilege is not waived if you have received thisemailin error.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Michael Stein @ Oct. 11, 2017, 1:05 p.m.
Thanks All, this has been incredibly helpful!
On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 4:54 PM, Master James <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

I will recommend taking the time to learn the might Mikrotik RouterOS

You can get a tiny box for $100 bucks, they even have cloud lics (level 6 unlimited hotspot users $230).

I like this link as it shows the CLI way, but their UI Winbox is as capible.

https://www.mikrotik-routeros.com/tag/bandwidth-limit/

Lots of info out there if you choose this route(r).

see Mikrotik Docs - Manual Queue

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queue

Response from Master James @ Oct. 10, 2017, 7:54 p.m.

I will recommend taking the time to learn the might Mikrotik RouterOS

You can get a tiny box for $100 bucks, they even have cloud lics (level 6 unlimited hotspot users $230).

I like this link as it shows the CLI way, but their UI Winbox is as capible.

https://www.mikrotik-routeros.com/tag/bandwidth-limit/

Lots of info out there if you choose this route(r).

see Mikrotik Docs - Manual Queue

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Queue

Response from Julian Firminger @ Oct. 10, 2017, 1:25 p.m.
Oh snap!
On 10 Oct. 2017 04:47, "Dan Mons" <dmons@cuttingedge.com.au> wrote:
Cheap/nasty/rushed method I've used in the past is to just force the port on the switch to 10mbit/s in the switch config.
-Dan

CUTTINGEDGE /

T+ 61 7 3013 6200

/SYD/BNE/TYO

Asking for a friend.

Thisemailis confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient.If you have received thisemailin error please notify the author and delete it immediately. Thisemailis not to be distributed without the author's written consent.Unauthorised forwarding, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited and may be a breach of copyright. Any views expressed in thisemailare those of the individual sender unless specifically stated to be the views ofCutting EdgePost Pty Ltd (Cutting Edge). Although thisemailhas been sent in the belief that it is virus-free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free. No responsibility is accepted byCutting Edgefor any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of thisemail. Thisemailmay contain legally privileged information and privilege is not waived if you have received thisemailin error.

Response from Ben De Luca @ Oct. 10, 2017, 12:15 p.m.
ha! that is brilliant!
On 10 October 2017 at 04:47, Dan Mons <dmons@cuttingedge.com.au> wrote:
-Dan

CUTTINGEDGE /

T+ 61 7 3013 6200

/SYD/BNE/TYO

Asking for a friend.

Response from Dan Mons @ Oct. 9, 2017, 10:50 p.m.
-Dan

CUTTINGEDGE /

T+ 61 7 3013 6200

/SYD/BNE/TYO

Asking for a friend.

Response from Saker Klippsten @ Oct. 9, 2017, 1:55 p.m.
You typically would do this via your firewall, and or wifi/router.
What is serving internet to this device? You could probably just get a TPLink or Asus Router and just use it between your NetGear and your apple TV to specifically limit the bandwidth and monitor it.

Here are some examples of how to do so with these routers
https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013333/http://www.tp-link.com/us/faq-557.html

If you really want to go nuts..get a fortinet 60D or something like that..
-S

On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 9:32 AM, Michael Stein <steinomyte@gmail.com> wrote:
Asking for a friend.

Response from William Sandler @ Oct. 9, 2017, 12:40 p.m.
Any Dual NIC PC with any open source router like pfSense or DDWRT.

William Sandler
All Things Media, LLC
william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com
On Mon, Oct 9, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Sam Edney <sam@cetasoft.net> wrote:
I looked at doing something similar once and found this article. I never saw it through, but it might help...

http://jeffq.com/blog/setting-up-a-man-in-the-middle-device-with-raspberry-pi-part-1/

Asking for a friend.

--
Samuel EdneyCEO,CETA Softwarep: 424-744-3165 a: 200 Spectrum Center Drive, Suite 300, Irvine, CA 92618w:www.cetasoft.nete:sam@cetasoft.net

Response from Sam Edney @ Oct. 9, 2017, 12:40 p.m.
I looked at doing something similar once and found this article. I never saw it through, but it might help...

http://jeffq.com/blog/setting-up-a-man-in-the-middle-device-with-raspberry-pi-part-1/

Asking for a friend.

--
Samuel EdneyCEO,CETA Softwarep: 424-744-3165 a: 200 Spectrum Center Drive, Suite 300, Irvine, CA 92618w:www.cetasoft.nete:sam@cetasoft.net