Sponsors
Sponsor Products
High performance shared storage for Mac based studio
posted by Dan Young  on Nov. 6, 2017, 9:20 a.m. (16 days ago)
4 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Please read the rules of his community before you think a post like this is appropriate, again.
On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 8:19 AM MontyMarcroft <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hi The market leader in Scale out NAS is Dell EMC Isilon, we have many customer running Media workflows from SD to Uncompressed UHD streams.

MAC users tend to use SMB as their preffered protocol stack, with some of the following tweaks for performance (SMB signing).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205926

details on Isilon on Media workflows

https://www.emc.com/collateral/software/solution-overview/h10585-isilon-media-and-entertainment-so.pdf

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Ali Poursamadi @ Nov. 10, 2017, 12:55 a.m.
I can say Qumulo is pretty plug and play, very easy to use Web UI, and probably affordable. ( and finally fast enough on mac ) .
There is also Rozo, pretty fast, maybe a bit cheaper than Q , worth a test, did i say it's fast on mac over smb? like Really fast ?
-Ali
On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 11:10 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
Monty, we have 3 Isilon clusters, I know what a ****ing x210 is.Monty, vendors are only permitted to comment with non-sales, technical answers to specific questions.Monty, stop using the list as a sales tool.Monty, dont upset Dan, you'll regret it. :)
Borja, how bit is your team? Could you look at open source filesystems?

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Dan Young <dan.robert.young@gmail.com> wrote:
Monty, again, take a look at our goddamn rules before you post trash on this list. (this is the nicest i've been about this in some time, don't make me change that)
On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 12:07 PM, MontyMarcroft <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

@julian firminger thanks for the response.

Isilon actually have multiple node types the X210 offering starts at 30TB for a 3 node solution, take a look at the express bundle this is priced for small start-ups.

https://www.dellemc.com/en-gb/campaigns/storage/isilon-express.htm

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Julian Firminger @ Nov. 6, 2017, 2:15 p.m.
Monty, we have 3 Isilon clusters, I know what a ****ing x210 is.Monty, vendors are only permitted to comment with non-sales, technical answers to specific questions.Monty, stop using the list as a sales tool.Monty, dont upset Dan, you'll regret it. :)
Borja, how bit is your team? Could you look at open source filesystems?

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 6:20 PM, Dan Young <dan.robert.young@gmail.com> wrote:
Monty, again, take a look at our goddamn rules before you post trash on this list. (this is the nicest i've been about this in some time, don't make me change that)
On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 12:07 PM, MontyMarcroft <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Isilon actually have multiple node types the X210 offering starts at 30TB for a 3 node solution, take a look at the express bundle this is priced for small start-ups.

Response from Dan Young @ Nov. 6, 2017, 12:25 p.m.

Response from Julian Firminger @ Nov. 6, 2017, 10:55 a.m.
@ Borja, Dan means Monty's reply not your questions. ;)@ Monty, your remarks are against the list rules and beyond inappropriate, had you read the question Borja is looking for something around 80TB, low cost. That's not an Isilon.
Borja,
Having said that, you might look at IsilonSD Edge. It's sofware only Isilon that runs on a VMware host. I think the max is around 80TB under license.You could also look at:QumuloGPFSStornextBut these are all quite expensive solutions for something quite small. GPFS also comes with a lot of technical knowledge requirement. (It rocks, but it's the antithesis of plug and play...)
It sounds like you might be better off looking at something like DDP or one of the more post-centric solutions if you dont have plans to scale up much. We have multiple DDP units out in OB trucks and the like and we're real pleased with them. I'd put them above the rest of that segment (EditShare, Terablock, et al).

Julian Firminger

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 3:17 PM, Dan Young <dan.robert.young@gmail.com> wrote:
Please read the rules of his community before you think a post like this is appropriate, again.
On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 8:19 AM MontyMarcroft <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hi The market leader in Scale out NAS is Dell EMC Isilon, we have many customer running Media workflows from SD to Uncompressed UHD streams.

MAC users tend to use SMB as their preffered protocol stack, with some of the following tweaks for performance (SMB signing).

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT205926

details on Isilon on Media workflows

https://www.emc.com/collateral/software/solution-overview/h10585-isilon-media-and-entertainment-so.pdf