Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Moving to CentOS 7
posted by Alfred Young  on Dec. 12, 2017, 7:11 p.m. (2 months, 12 days ago)
10 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

CentOS 6 is starting to feel really dated.

I'm considering moving my workstation to CentOS 7 while the rest of the network remains on 6.8, and becoming a guiena pig.

Can anyone point me to any material to help in a possible transition?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thread Tags:
  linux 

Response from Alfred Young @ Jan. 16, 2018, 4:18 p.m.

Thanks for replying everyone. For some reaosn I thought I had, but looks like the reply never happened.

I will be begin testing CentOs 7, the latest based on DistroWatch.

Thank you everyone!

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Alfred Young @ Dec. 15, 2017, 12:05 p.m.

Greg,

Wow ok, I do support RV. Thank you for your anecdotes, yes Deadline is also included in our pipeline. Maybe it's time I create a spreadsheet!

... and I mention "redacted" becaus it appears nothing is off the table when it comes to what we do! =)

Thank you!!

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 14, 2017, 12:15 p.m.
redacted v3 and up will run fine on Centos7.

If you're using RV on Centos7, and artists start complaining about video playback, there are a few solutions in my other thread.

greg

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 12:03 PM, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca> wrote:
maya and nuke are both fine on cent7, not sure about redacted ;-) but have experience with deadline, redshift and several others, all good.
Greg

On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Alfred Young <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Gregs,

Thanks for the responses.

We use the usual DCCs (Maya, Nuke, <redacted>, <redacted>), but our shop is always testing and evaluating new software. At some points, I'm also developing and working with new packages that require a more recent kernel and everything else that comes with it. I think I spend more time in build hell than I actually do any work.

I'll point our team to this thread in hopes we can start a dialogue.

Thanks all, it's scary but I think we can manage it.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Greg Dickie @ Dec. 14, 2017, 12:05 p.m.
maya and nuke are both fine on cent7, not sure about redacted ;-) but have experience with deadline, redshift and several others, all good.
Greg
On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 12:00 PM, Alfred Young <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Gregs,

We use the usual DCCs (Maya, Nuke, <redacted>, <redacted>), but our shop is always testing and evaluating new software. At some points, I'm also developing and working with new packages that require a more recent kernel and everything else that comes with it. I think I spend more time in build hell than I actually do any work.

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400

Response from Alfred Young @ Dec. 14, 2017, noon

Gregs, 

Response from Greg Dickie @ Dec. 14, 2017, 11:35 a.m.
What applications are you using? 7 is definitely better than 6 once you drink the koolaid. My advice is not to fight it. At first we tried to ignore NetworkManager and get back to the device names we were used to. Don't do that. systemd is the same thing.
Greg
On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 2:52 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
I would:
1. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=10000
2. install centos 7

If your shop installs workstations via KickStart, there is an opportunity to reuse most of the 6.x KS. Many if not all the package names are the same.

took me a while to accpet systemd, more over nostalgic and 'it works for me' reasons than anything else. But it is a better system.

greg

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 3:20 AM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, no 6->7 upgrade path to speak of, you have to start from scratch. Even the default filesystem is different from 6 to 7, it is typically ext4 for RHEL/CentOS 6, and XFS for RHEL/CentOS 7. Read up on systemd and learn to accept it (there's probably a 12 step process for that), at first it will feel weird and wrong, but no use fighting it unless you plan to switch to a systemd-less distro...

JF

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:
Hi Alfred,

Unfortunately, there really aren't any 'migration' tools that I know of, if that's what you're looking for. Can't just yum update release to get to 7. At least that's what's been said on the CentOS forums. You could try adjusting the paths to the repositories, but I have a feeling that won't work out too well ;)

In terms of material, is there anything specific you're looking for? Trevor and the team on the CentOS forums are a great help if you run into any trouble. I'm using C7 (currently 1611, going to 1708 soon) as my daily driver and it's been fantastic. I think you'll like it!

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 19:11:37 -0500Alfred Young <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote ----

I'm considering moving my workstation to CentOS 7 while the rest of the network remains on 6.8, and becoming a guiena pig.

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 13, 2017, 2:55 p.m.
I would:
1. dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=512 count=10000
2. install centos 7

If your shop installs workstations via KickStart, there is an opportunity to reuse most of the 6.x KS. Many if not all the package names are the same.

took me a while to accpet systemd, more over nostalgic and 'it works for me' reasons than anything else. But it is a better system.

greg

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 3:20 AM, Jean-Francois Panisset <panisset@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, no 6->7 upgrade path to speak of, you have to start from scratch. Even the default filesystem is different from 6 to 7, it is typically ext4 for RHEL/CentOS 6, and XFS for RHEL/CentOS 7. Read up on systemd and learn to accept it (there's probably a 12 step process for that), at first it will feel weird and wrong, but no use fighting it unless you plan to switch to a systemd-less distro...

JF

On Tue, Dec 12, 2017 at 7:13 PM, Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:
Hi Alfred,

Unfortunately, there really aren't any 'migration' tools that I know of, if that's what you're looking for. Can't just yum update release to get to 7. At least that's what's been said on the CentOS forums. You could try adjusting the paths to the repositories, but I have a feeling that won't work out too well ;)

In terms of material, is there anything specific you're looking for? Trevor and the team on the CentOS forums are a great help if you run into any trouble. I'm using C7 (currently 1611, going to 1708 soon) as my daily driver and it's been fantastic. I think you'll like it!

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 19:11:37 -0500Alfred Young <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote ----

Response from Alfred Young @ Dec. 13, 2017, 2:51 p.m.

Thanks Mike and Jean-Francois

I understand I'd probably have to start fresh, but maybe a set guide of things to look out for.

Python of course, major application issues, etc.

Thinking about this some more, I think the only way to really know what'll work (or not) is if I find a host machine I can tinker with.

Response from Jean-Francois Panisset @ Dec. 13, 2017, 3:25 a.m.

JF

Hi Alfred,

Cheers,
Mike

Response from Mike Rochefort @ Dec. 12, 2017, 10:15 p.m.
Hi Alfred,

Cheers,
Mike

---- On Tue, 12 Dec 2017 19:11:37 -0500 Alfred Young <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote ----