Sponsors
Sponsor Products
files copied via nfs mount are unreadable on windows
posted by Jean-Francois Panisset  on May 1, 2018, 2:05 p.m. (4 months, 24 days ago)
4 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
What's the NAS you are using, is it just a Linux box serving out SMB via Samba, meaning that the underlying filesystem being served via NFS and SMB is a POSIX filesystem, or is this some kind of enterprise NAS system? Also what is the source of account information, Active Directory? LDAP?

A recipe that should kind of work with a Linux / Samba NAS is:

- Active Directory as the source of account identity
- RFC 2307 fields populated in Active Directory to provide consistent POSIX UIDs and GIDs for user and group objects
- Bind all Linux machines to AD using SSSD
- Configure Samba to map between Windows SIDs and UNIX UID/GIDs using AD / RFC 2307
- Simple NFS v3 access (never had much luck trying to use NFS v3 ACLs to try to "match" Windows permission model)

JF

On Tue, May 1, 2018 at 9:40 AM, Kym Watts <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hello,

Forgive me for possible posting this, i think this was discussed a few years ago, but i cant for the life of me find it.

we are getting a problem where files copied via an nfs mount point on linux are un readable on windows by the same user.

in a nut shell the problem looks like this:

When our render user on linux , creates a file directly on the nfs mount it is readable by the windows render user.

When our render user on linux creates a file directly on the nfs mount, then copies / renames the file on the nfs mount , the windows user cannot read the file anymore.

simplist linux test to recreate the problem:

create a file with the command: 'touch test.txt'
- this file will have the correct permissions on it.

copy the file with the command: 'cp testfile.txt teste_copy.txt'
- the copy file have BAD permissions on it.

Can some one point me in the right direction please?

Cheers

Kym

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Ronald Knol @ May 1, 2018, 8:30 p.m.
Kym, Saker is right, please post an ls -al output of the directory so it shows the parent directory (owner, group, mode) as well as the two test files (original from touch and the copied file).

The directory listing will show if you have an owner/umask issue.

There might be ACLs involved but how to show those depends on your *nix flavor and filesystem.

Cheers,

Ronald

Hello,

Forgive me for possible posting this, i think this was discussed a few years ago, but i cant for the life of me find it.

we are getting a problem where files copied via an nfs mount point on linux are un readable on windows by the same user.

When our render user on linux , creates a file directly on the nfs mount it is readable by the windows render user.

When our render user on linux creates a file directly on the nfs mount, then copies / renames the file on the nfs mount , the windows user cannot read the file anymore.

Cheers

Kym

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Cheers,

ronald.

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Ronald Knol @ May 1, 2018, 8:26 p.m.

Kym, Saker is right, please post an ls -al output of the directory so it shows the parent directory (owner, group, mode) as well as the two test files (original from touch and the copied file).

There might be ACLs involved but how to show those depends on your *nix flavor and filesystem.

Response from Ronald Knol @ May 1, 2018, 8:26 p.m.

Response from Saker Klippsten @ May 1, 2018, 5:20 p.m.
Can you check your .cshrc file and tell me what the umask is set to for that user?
can you post a sample output from a linux term listing the directory with the files in it?
-S

Hello,

Cheers

Kym