Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Mac's and Active Directory issues: Are we the only ones?
posted by Adam Barnett  on May 9, 2018, 3:30 p.m. (12 days ago)
0 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
We have had the same things. 
Things I have noticed in the past is that the time on the Mac drifts even when we set it to use our ntp severs. 
I am not sure how your dcs are setup but we have ours in round robin and for what ever reason a Mac will try and contact one in another site instead of the local one. ( I had to watch the traffic coming out of a Mac one day to find out ) 
In the end I just wrote a script that will check thing AD binding and will just rebound when needed 
The other option you could do is to restart launchd opendirectoryd which also fixes things.
I never did get to the bottom of it and just came to the conclusion that OS X sucks with AD 
On 9 May 2018, at 19:59, Greg Dickie <greg@justaguy.ca> wrote:

ya, that's my experience as well. I've also seen issues with other types of clients so maybe it's our AD ;-)
On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 2:43 PM, William Sandler <william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com> wrote:
We have to reboot macs sometimes in order for the "network accounts are unavailable" message to go away.  Luckily our Macs all have SSDs so a reboot isn't the end of the world but it's still annoying.   

William Sandler
All Things Media, LLC
william.sandler@allthingsmedia.com

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 12:53 PM Daniel Cox <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:
I'm the Active Directory Admin at my company. We have a mixed environment of Mac's, Windows (Servers and workstations), and Linux (Servers) all on Active directory. I am trying to find out if our heartache with Mac's is typical in such a mixed environment or if it is unusual and I need to do some thing to make it more stable. The big issue that we see is that the Macs seem to stop talking to AD and require a reboot to get them going again and utilizing the central authentication. However in more problematic cases we have to unbind and re-bind the Macs to AD to get things working again. Now I have had Windows machines in the past go dumb and need to be re-added to AD so I know it is possible but with the Macs it seems like every week at least a couple need this to get working again. As far as we can tell there is no network issues that are dropping connections (at least not for long enough for a human or monitoring to notice). Are these kind of things typical in such an environment? Is there anything I can do to help keep everyone happily talking to one another and improve everyone's experience? Any help or insight you may be willing to share would be apprciated.
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--

Greg Dickie
just a guy514-983-5400

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins