Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Mac NFS mount crashes Finder
posted by Julian Firminger  on May 31, 2018, 4:10 a.m. (2 months, 17 days ago)
3 Responses     1 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Hi all, (re-posting here from Slack)
I have a pecular issue with a 10.11 (El Capt) Mac where an NFSv3 mount made in the Finder (Apple-K) mounts but if you try and navigate more than about 3 directories deep, the Finder crashes. System.log has these entries in it:
May 30 15:13:04 Graphics-01-MacPro kernel[0]: nfs server [redacted].ubf.nl:/[redacted]: lockd not respondingMay 30 15:13:04 Graphics-01-MacPro KernelEventAgent[108]: tid 54485244 received event(s) VQ_NOTRESP (1)May 30 15:13:04 Graphics-01-MacPro KernelEventAgent[108]: tid 54485244 type 'nfs', mounted on '/Volumes/[redacted]', from '[redacted].ubf.nl:/[redacted]', not respondingMay 30 15:13:04 Graphics-01-MacPro KernelEventAgent[108]: tid 54485244 found 1 filesystem(s) with problem(s)May 30 15:14:04 Graphics-01-MacPro kernel[0]: nfs server [redacted].ubf.nl:/[redacted]: dead
Adding nolock to autofs.conf doesnt help but if I mount the volume old-school in Terminal, then it all works just fine.
The server side is an Isilon 8.0.0.4. We think there was an Apple update between when this last worked and now.There's no firewall (or rather there's nothing being dropped) and other (different OS version) Macs are all fine.
Anyone come across this before? We're a bit stumped.

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Ronald Knol @ May 31, 2018, 1:20 p.m.

Hey Julian,

I highly recommend using automounter (man autofsd ; man automount).
It's been working great for me for years, from Mac OS 10.6 on right through to macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

Simply edit /etc/auto_master, replace line

/-            -static

with

/-            auto_ubf

Then edit your own /etc/auto_ubf and add lines like this:

/../Volumes/redacted -fstype=nfs,bg,nolock,tcp,intr,rsize=524288,wsize=524288 redacted.ubf.nl:/redacted

The reason for the /../ is that you cannot automount in /Volumes directly (somewhere in the kernel it disallows that). Using /../Volumes bypasses that restriction.

Your custom NFS options go where I have nolock etc.

Do a sudo killall autofsd to have automount reload the files, and voila the mounts should appear. Now the kernel will unmount NFS after a certain amount of inactivity but this have never been an issue with us. Files don't get closed/lost if you leave an app open for a long period of time.

The one downside is that NFS mounts don't show in Finder by default so I make a favorite in every user's Finder sidebar (Finder - Go - Go to Folder - /Volumes and then drag the NFS mounted folder into the sidebar).

Hope this helps...

ronald.

1 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Julian Firminger @ June 1, 2018, 3:55 a.m.
THanks guys,
We're going to upgrade it to Siera instead, bring it inline with the rest of them. If I had more time I would love to know what it's upto with Wireshark. Ahhh, time....

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Thu, May 31, 2018 at 7:20 PM, Ronald Knol <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Hey Julian,

I highly recommend using automounter (man autofsd ; man automount).
It's been working great for me for years, from Mac OS 10.6 on right through to macOS 10.13 High Sierra.

Simply edit /etc/auto_master, replace line

/- -static

with

/- auto_ubf

Then edit your own /etc/auto_ubf and add lines like this:

/../Volumes/redacted -fstype=nfs,bg,nolock,tcp,intr,rsize=524288,wsize=524288 redacted.ubf.nl:/redacted

The reason for the /../ is that you cannot automount in /Volumes directly (somewhere in the kernel it disallows that). Using /../Volumes bypasses that restriction.

Your custom NFS options go where I have nolock etc.

Do a sudo killall autofsd to have automount reload the files, and voila the mounts should appear. Now the kernel will unmount NFS after a certain amount of inactivity but this have never been an issue with us. Files don't get closed/lost if you leave an app open for a long period of time.

The one downside is that NFS mounts don't show in Finder by default so I make a favorite in every user's Finder sidebar (Finder - Go - Go to Folder - /Volumes and then drag the NFS mounted folder into the sidebar).

Hope this helps...

ronald.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Todd Smith @ May 31, 2018, 10:55 a.m.
Does Wireshark show anything of interest?

Haven't seen this before, but we also never mount through Finder.

Todd Smith
Head of Information Technology
soho vfx | 40 Hanna Ave. Suite 403, Toronto, Ontario M6K 0C3
office: (416) 516-7863 fax: (416) 516-9682 web: sohovfx.com
----- On May 31, 2018, at 4:08 AM, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,  (re-posting here from Slack)
I have a pecular issue with a 10.11 (El Capt) Mac where an NFSv3 mount made in the Finder (Apple-K) mounts but if you try and navigate more than about 3 directories deep, the Finder crashes.  System.log has these entries in it:
May 30 15:13:04 Graphics-01-MacPro kernel[0]: nfs server [redacted].ubf.nl:/[redacted]: lockd not respondingMay 30 15:13:04 Graphics-01-MacPro KernelEventAgent[108]: tid 54485244 received event(s) VQ_NOTRESP (1)May 30 15:13:04 Graphics-01-MacPro KernelEventAgent[108]: tid 54485244 type 'nfs', mounted on '/Volumes/[redacted]', from '[redacted].ubf.nl:/[redacted]', not respondingMay 30 15:13:04 Graphics-01-MacPro KernelEventAgent[108]: tid 54485244 found 1 filesystem(s) with problem(s)May 30 15:14:04 Graphics-01-MacPro kernel[0]: nfs server [redacted].ubf.nl:/[redacted]: dead
Adding nolock to autofs.conf doesnt help but if I mount the volume old-school in Terminal, then it all works just fine.  
The server side is an Isilon 8.0.0.4.  We think there was an Apple update between when this last worked and now.  There's no firewall (or rather there's nothing being dropped) and other (different OS version) Macs are all fine.  
Anyone come across this before?  We're a bit stumped.  

Julian Firminger

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments