Sponsors
Sponsor Products
upgrade a 2011 HNAS 3080G2?
posted by Jonah Lefkowitz  on June 15, 2018, 12:22 a.m. (1 month, 5 days ago)
1 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

I know what the correct answer to this challenge is.

No, I should not attempt to upgrade an 8 yr old HNAS 3080 G2 that's completely out of support...

but if someone here has done this and found it to be completely painless and easy, I'd consider it anyway.

It's currently on 12.4.3924.15 and I'm trying to get it up to 12.7.4221.12 for improved SMB2/3 support.

Looks like it's attached to their unified storage HUS130 platform, which is also 4 yrs behind on firmware updates.

Any of you guys gone through this?  opinions on difficulty?  likelihood of it going terribly wrong?

Can you rate it on the Isilon scale of frustration? 

10 - hardest = pre-emc purchase, I swear this had data on it 15 minutes ago...

5 - medium = post-Dell purchase, upgrades get stuck half way through, your firmware update has not been fully applied puzzles

1 - easiest = 7.X.X.X in the sweet spot of EMC ownership when it all just worked right

I appreciate any stories or anecdotes you guys have to offer as I've never touched this platform.

Thread Tags:
  storage 

Response from Greg Whynott @ July 12, 2018, 6:15 p.m.
I've done a few upgrades by myself, it isn't hard to do the actual upgrade at all. If I recall you update the managment appliance and then go into the CD image and run an autorun script or similar. It'll do its thing for awhile then reboot. done. I don't recall ever having upgrade issues. Make sure you have a copy of your licenses or you may end up with a large paper weight.

As for if the revision you want to end up at is solid, i've no idea. I'd think if it was the last firmware released for the platform, it would be fairly solid. Seems like a bad idea to end a product's support on a known to be shitty revision of firmware.

With that said, if you are not having issues with the current revision, stay there and be safe. Unless there is something in the release notes of the newer version that has you concerned.

Is anyone actually buying HDS solutions still for M&E?

ZFS!
-greg

On Fri, Jun 15, 2018 at 12:22 AM, Jonah Lefkowitz <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

I know what the correct answer to this challenge is.

No, I should not attempt to upgrade an 8 yr old HNAS 3080 G2 that's completely out of support...

but if someone here has done this and found it to be completely painless and easy, I'd consider it anyway.

It's currently on 12.4.3924.15 and I'm trying to get it up to 12.7.4221.12 for improved SMB2/3 support.

Looks like it's attached to their unified storage HUS130 platform, which is also 4 yrs behind on firmware updates.

Any of you guys gone through this? opinions on difficulty? likelihood of it going terribly wrong?

Can you rate it on the Isilon scale of frustration?

10 - hardest = pre-emc purchase, I swear this had data on it 15 minutes ago...

5 - medium = post-Dell purchase, upgrades get stuck half way through, your firmware update has not been fully applied puzzles

1 - easiest = 7.X.X.X in the sweet spot of EMC ownership when it all just worked right

I appreciate any stories or anecdotes you guys have to offer as I've never touched this platform.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments