Sponsors
Sponsor Products
hosted DNS service for SLAVE zone.
posted by Greg Whynott  on June 27, 2018, 2:35 p.m. (4 months, 24 days ago)
6 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Hello,
The company has been hosting its DNS at a third party (ipage) for years. I would now like to move the SOA to our DNS servers hosted on site here at work. This will allow us to make changes the proper way (with vi) and have those changes propagated to another offsite DNS server acting as a slave for the zone. I need an external slave server in case our internet connection goes down, both SMTP (we use a fail save provider to collect our mail if our MX's are not reachable) and our externally hosted web site remains available.

Any recommendations (if they exist) on a provider we could use to host DNS but as a slave server? I was told we coudln't use the 'free' aws offerings.

greg

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Greg Whynott @ June 27, 2018, 4:15 p.m.
Hi Ken - I read this on the "DNS/Secondary Domain/ DNS Made Easy Secondary DNS to GoDaddy" path from that link you provided. they mention GoDaddy in there a few times. Maybe they do allow slaving to/from 3rd party but I didn't see it.

I think EasyDNS has what we are after. On the below page if you scroll to the bottom, the very last blurb is "Third Party Zone Transfer" and describes what I'm after. They allow you to use them as the master or slave. perfect!
http://easydns.com/dns/secondary

Thanks again!2 more days till the long weekend. If you're in Trumps newest hated country.
-g

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 4:00 PM, Ken Spickler <ken.spickler@gmail.com> wrote:
Im not aware of any GoDaddy connection. I do recall them remaining accessible when GDs DNS crapped out some time back. That page may be related to that GD outage.

Ken SpicklerSent from iPhone. Srry for tpos.
On Jun 27, 2018, at 12:56 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

I will check them all out, thank you. To be clear I'm looking for is someone who will host a slave zone.

Ken, that secondary DNS page link talks about how they have a service to use go-daddy as a secondary (they must be partners or commonly owned).. Doesn't appear to allow a business to use them as a secondary.
Its proving hard to find...

thanks for the recommends,-g

On Wed, Jun 27, 2018 at 3:01 PM, Ken Spickler <ken.spickler@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 for DNS Made Easy. Theyve been solid for us as our primary DNS provider and they also support secondary DNS.
https://help.dnsmadeeasy.com/secondary-dns/

On Jun 27, 2018, at 11:33 AM, Rory Falloon <rory@mrxfx.com> wrote:

does dnsmadeeasy do that?

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com <studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com> on behalf of greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2018 11:30 AM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss
Subject: [SSA-Discuss] hosted DNS service for SLAVE zone.
Hello,
The company has been hosting its DNS at a third party (ipage) for years. I would now like to move the SOA to our DNS servers hosted on site here at work. This will allow us to make changes the proper way (with vi) and have those changes propagated to another offsite DNS server acting as a slave for the zone. I need an external slave server in case our internet connection goes down, both SMTP (we use a fail save provider to collect our mail if our MX's are not reachable) and our externally hosted web site remains available.

Any recommendations (if they exist) on a provider we could use to host DNS but as a slave server? I was told we coudln't use the 'free' aws offerings.

greg

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Ken Spickler @ June 27, 2018, 4:05 p.m.
Im not aware of any GoDaddy connection. I do recall them remaining accessible when GDs DNS crapped out some time back. That page may be related to that GD outage.

On Jun 27, 2018, at 12:56 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

I will check them all out,   thank you.   To be clear I'm looking for is someone who will host a slave zone. 

Ken,  that secondary DNS page link talks about how they have a service to use go-daddy as a secondary (they must be partners or commonly owned)..    Doesn't appear to allow a business to use them as a secondary.

+1 for DNS Made Easy. Theyve been solid for us as our primary DNS provider and they also support secondary DNS.

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com <studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com> on behalf of greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com>
  Hello,
The company has been hosting its DNS at a third party (ipage) for years.  I would now like to move the SOA to our DNS servers hosted on site here at work.  This will allow us to make changes the proper way (with vi) and have those changes propagated to another offsite DNS server acting as a slave for the zone.      I need an external slave server in case our internet connection goes down,  both SMTP (we use a fail save provider to collect our mail if our MX's are not reachable) and our externally hosted web site remains available.  

Any recommendations (if they exist) on a provider we could use to host DNS but as a slave server?  I was told we coudln't use the 'free' aws offerings.

greg

Response from Greg Whynott @ June 27, 2018, 4 p.m.
I will check them all out, thank you. To be clear I'm looking for is someone who will host a slave zone.

Ken, that secondary DNS page link talks about how they have a service to use go-daddy as a secondary (they must be partners or commonly owned).. Doesn't appear to allow a business to use them as a secondary.

Hello,

greg

Response from Ken Spickler @ June 27, 2018, 3:05 p.m.

Hello,
The company has been hosting its DNS at a third party (ipage) for years.  I would now like to move the SOA to our DNS servers hosted on site here at work.  This will allow us to make changes the proper way (with vi) and have those changes propagated to another offsite DNS server acting as a slave for the zone.      I need an external slave server in case our internet connection goes down,  both SMTP (we use a fail save provider to collect our mail if our MX's are not reachable) and our externally hosted web site remains available.  

Any recommendations (if they exist) on a provider we could use to host DNS but as a slave server?  I was told we coudln't use the 'free' aws offerings.

greg

Response from Rory Falloon @ June 27, 2018, 2:50 p.m.

Hello,

greg

Response from Brian Krusic @ June 27, 2018, 2:45 p.m.
Hi,
Well, Ive had great luck with DynDNS.
They used to also provide a mail catch of sorts for when your mail server was not reachable and would hold it for several hours.  I forgot whats its called but I do still use it.
I also forgot who its with now.
At any rate check Dyn as theyve been around and seem very trusted.
- Brian
Every day is a gift Thats why they call it the present"
On Jun 27, 2018, at 11:30 AM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello,

greg