Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Do you use Force 10 / Dell S3048-ON, S4048-ON, S4048T-ON, S6010-ON, S6100-ON, Z9100-ON or C9010 switches?
posted by Greg Whynott  on July 12, 2018, 5:50 p.m. (4 months, 8 days ago)
6 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
If you don't use these switches, bail now.

You need to read this before rebooting them, if your switch has been up for greater than 18 months, it may not reboot again. The hardware clock may fail causing the CPU to lock up.

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/qna44095/networking-clock-signal-qa?lang=en

I'm kind of disappointed with Dell right now, (imagine that, me being upset at a vendor!!). We have paid support on these switches for years, which has to be over 10k in support by now (cluster of them). This notice comes out which is as serious as it gets. Did our rep reach out to us and say "heads up!", no... Did Dell themselves send us a note saying "heads up", no.... but do they send us a note when we are almost due to give them more money for 'support'? Hell yes. Selective proactiveness.. :)

Our have been up for over 2 years, trying to get one on site before we update and reboot.

-greg

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Zorion Terrell @ July 12, 2018, 10:55 p.m.

Wow thats crazy.

I didnt realize the F10 switches used an Atom chip. I wrongfully assumed they used Broadcom like the rest of the Dell Lineup and the large amount of other switches.

Either way. Not looking forward to having to swap out ours!

Zorion Terrell

Director, IT | DHX Studios

e: zorion.terrell@dhxmedia.com

t: 604-684-2363 | m: 604-562-5148

380 West 5th Ave

Vancouver, BC Canada V5Y 1J5

Email Signature_DHX_Media

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of greg whynott
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 7:42 PM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss <studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com>
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Do you use Force 10 / Dell S3048-ON, S4048-ON, S4048T-ON, S6010-ON, S6100-ON, Z9100-ON or C9010 switches?

Here is a list of other manufactures gear affected by the Intel chip problem:

https://www.auvik.com/media/blog/vendors-clock-signal-flaw-intel-atom-c2000/

Some of super micro's boards are on that list too, so it goes beyond network gear.

-g

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:17 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

It is but I was thinking they probably design switches a few years or so ahead of time due to design and testing.   Figured they were still using F10's schematics.  I could be wrong though.

My manager pointed me to a link which shines some light on this,  its a much wider spread issue and not an exclusive to Dell problem.   Cisco, HP, Juniper and others too..  

https://www.networkworld.com/article/3171206/cisco-subnet/cisco-reserves-125-million-to-pay-for-faulty-clock-component-in-switches-routers.html

-g

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Zorion Terrell <Zorion.Terrell@dhxmedia.com> wrote:

Naw the S4048-ON switch is all DELL. Looong after Force10.

Ours is under a gold support contract and the article says to wait until Dell contacts you (unless of course your switch dies).

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

380 West 5th Ave

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com [mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com] On Behalf Of greg whynott
Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 4:01 PM
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Do you use Force 10 / Dell S3048-ON, S4048-ON, S4048T-ON, S6010-ON, S6100-ON, Z9100-ON or C9010 switches?

Its a bummer,  but talk to your Dell rep.  From my understanding of what I read within that notice,   they are going to replace any of them out in the field proactively ( before failure ) if the customer requests it.  They are trying to sort out the time line for this apparently as we speak. 

They are being generous too as they will replace units not under support if you put it under support.   Poor Dell,  wasn't even their hardware,  I think this is all pre-Dell engineering..   The Force 10 board of directors should compensate them.  :)    Its similar to buying a car company then a year later you discover there is a defect which will require you to recall most of your units...   that's a major value degrade.  I use car company as an example as these switches cost as much as a small car. 

greg

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:24 PM, Zorion Terrell <Zorion.Terrell@dhxmedia.com> wrote:

OH COME ON!

S4048-ON is the Core Switch for our Avid Infra..

UGH

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

380 West 5th Ave

Sent: Thursday, July 12, 2018 2:47 PM
Subject: [SSA-Discuss] Do you use Force 10 / Dell S3048-ON, S4048-ON, S4048T-ON, S6010-ON, S6100-ON, Z9100-ON or C9010 switches?

If you don't use these switches,  bail now.

You need to read this before rebooting them,   if your switch has been up for greater than 18 months,  it may not reboot again.  The hardware clock may fail causing the CPU to lock up. 

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/qna44095/networking-clock-signal-qa?lang=en

I'm kind of disappointed with Dell right now, (imagine that,  me being upset at a vendor!!).    We have paid support on these switches for years,  which has to be over 10k in support by now (cluster of them).   This notice comes out which is as serious as it gets.    Did our rep reach out to us and say "heads up!",  no...  Did Dell themselves send us a note saying "heads up",  no....   but do they send us a note when we are almost due to give them more money for 'support'?  Hell yes.       Selective proactiveness..    :)

Our have been up for over 2 years,  trying to get one on site before we update and reboot.

-greg

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Greg Whynott @ July 12, 2018, 10:45 p.m.
Here is a list of other manufactures gear affected by the Intel chip problem:
https://www.auvik.com/media/blog/vendors-clock-signal-flaw-intel-atom-c2000/

Some of super micro's boards are on that list too, so it goes beyond network gear.
-g

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 10:17 PM, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
It is but I was thinking they probably design switches a few years or so ahead of time due to design and testing. Figured they were still using F10's schematics. I could be wrong though.
My manager pointed me to a link which shines some light on this, its a much wider spread issue and not an exclusive to Dell problem. Cisco, HP, Juniper and others too..
https://www.networkworld.com/article/3171206/cisco-subnet/cisco-reserves-125-million-to-pay-for-faulty-clock-component-in-switches-routers.html
-g

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 8:41 PM, Zorion Terrell <Zorion.Terrell@dhxmedia.com> wrote:

Ours is under a gold support contract and the article says to wait until Dell contacts you (unless of course your switch dies).

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

380 West 5th Ave

Its a bummer, but talk to your Dell rep. From my understanding of what I read within that notice, they are going to replace any of them out in the field proactively ( before failure ) if the customer requests it. They are trying to sort out the time line for this apparently as we speak.

They are being generous too as they will replace units not under support if you put it under support. Poor Dell, wasn't even their hardware, I think this is all pre-Dell engineering.. The Force 10 board of directors should compensate them. :) Its similar to buying a car company then a year later you discover there is a defect which will require you to recall most of your units... that's a major value degrade. I use car company as an example as these switches cost as much as a small car.

greg

On Thu, Jul 12, 2018 at 6:24 PM, Zorion Terrell <Zorion.Terrell@dhxmedia.com> wrote:

OH COME ON!

UGH

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

380 West 5th Ave

Subject: [SSA-Discuss] Do you use Force 10 / Dell S3048-ON, S4048-ON, S4048T-ON, S6010-ON, S6100-ON, Z9100-ON or C9010 switches?

You need to read this before rebooting them, if your switch has been up for greater than 18 months, it may not reboot again. The hardware clock may fail causing the CPU to lock up.

I'm kind of disappointed with Dell right now, (imagine that, me being upset at a vendor!!). We have paid support on these switches for years, which has to be over 10k in support by now (cluster of them). This notice comes out which is as serious as it gets. Did our rep reach out to us and say "heads up!", no... Did Dell themselves send us a note saying "heads up", no.... but do they send us a note when we are almost due to give them more money for 'support'? Hell yes. Selective proactiveness.. :)

Our have been up for over 2 years, trying to get one on site before we update and reboot.

-greg

Response from Greg Whynott @ July 12, 2018, 10:20 p.m.
It is but I was thinking they probably design switches a few years or so ahead of time due to design and testing. Figured they were still using F10's schematics. I could be wrong though.
My manager pointed me to a link which shines some light on this, its a much wider spread issue and not an exclusive to Dell problem. Cisco, HP, Juniper and others too..
-g

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

380 West 5th Ave

Its a bummer, but talk to your Dell rep. From my understanding of what I read within that notice, they are going to replace any of them out in the field proactively ( before failure ) if the customer requests it. They are trying to sort out the time line for this apparently as we speak.

They are being generous too as they will replace units not under support if you put it under support. Poor Dell, wasn't even their hardware, I think this is all pre-Dell engineering.. The Force 10 board of directors should compensate them. :) Its similar to buying a car company then a year later you discover there is a defect which will require you to recall most of your units... that's a major value degrade. I use car company as an example as these switches cost as much as a small car.

greg

OH COME ON!

UGH

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

380 West 5th Ave

-greg

Response from Zorion Terrell @ July 12, 2018, 8:45 p.m.

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

380 West 5th Ave

Its a bummer,  but talk to your Dell rep.  From my understanding of what I read within that notice,   they are going to replace any of them out in the field proactively ( before failure ) if the customer requests it.  They are trying to sort out the time line for this apparently as we speak. 

They are being generous too as they will replace units not under support if you put it under support.   Poor Dell,  wasn't even their hardware,  I think this is all pre-Dell engineering..   The Force 10 board of directors should compensate them.  :)    Its similar to buying a car company then a year later you discover there is a defect which will require you to recall most of your units...   that's a major value degrade.  I use car company as an example as these switches cost as much as a small car. 

greg

OH COME ON!

UGH

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

380 West 5th Ave

You need to read this before rebooting them,   if your switch has been up for greater than 18 months,  it may not reboot again.  The hardware clock may fail causing the CPU to lock up. 

I'm kind of disappointed with Dell right now, (imagine that,  me being upset at a vendor!!).    We have paid support on these switches for years,  which has to be over 10k in support by now (cluster of them).   This notice comes out which is as serious as it gets.    Did our rep reach out to us and say "heads up!",  no...  Did Dell themselves send us a note saying "heads up",  no....   but do they send us a note when we are almost due to give them more money for 'support'?  Hell yes.       Selective proactiveness..    :)

Our have been up for over 2 years,  trying to get one on site before we update and reboot.

-greg

Response from Greg Whynott @ July 12, 2018, 7:05 p.m.
Its a bummer, but talk to your Dell rep. >From my understanding of what I read within that notice, they are going to replace any of them out in the field proactively ( before failure ) if the customer requests it. They are trying to sort out the time line for this apparently as we speak.

greg

OH COME ON!

UGH

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

380 West 5th Ave

-greg

Response from Zorion Terrell @ July 12, 2018, 6:30 p.m.

OH COME ON!

UGH

Zorion Terrell

IT Manager | DHX Studios

380 West 5th Ave

-greg