Sponsors
Sponsor Products
MPAA v4.03
posted by Anonymous  on Aug. 16, 2018, 2 a.m. (1 month, 9 days ago)
13 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Hi all,

Quickly flipping through the newly released MPAA guidelines and as expected there are some interesting additions relating to encryption at rest and encryption in flight. Of particular interest is DS-11.4

Encrypt content at rest and in motion, including across virtual server instances, using a minimum of AES-256 encryption. and it goes on to link a page that doesnt exist. DS11.1 recommends SAN/NAS systems need to be encrypted, along with workstations, laptops and phones which a lot of us are already doing.

Weve seen this coming but I think it is going to cause some of us headaches from a cost/performance stand point. Im wondering who is doing this already, aside from those totally in the cloud.

Dylan

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and permanently delete the original, any copy and any printout thereof. The integrity and security of e-mail cannot be guaranteed.

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Ben De Luca @ Aug. 21, 2018, 10:30 a.m.
has any one else noticed that v4.03 is missing section "mapping to facilities"? are we meant to implement all guidelines now?
Ken, its not meant to be a pass fail type audit but some things are more pass or faily. There are only two independent auditors, and only one outside of NA. There are many auditors, but they all work for the same company.

On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 15:55, Ken Spickler <ken.spickler@gmail.com> wrote:
There are audits, but they are performed by independent contractors, not TPN/CDSA, and the audit is paid for by the facility requesting the audit. As I understand it, its also not pass/fail for the overall audit but rather a level of compliance for each item being audited for. So a site may be compliant on most things, but may have a not compliant or partially compliant on in-flight encryption, for example.

On Aug 21, 2018, at 6:11 AM, Ben De Luca <bdeluca@gmail.com> wrote:

communication is key!or not
On Tue, 21 Aug 2018 at 14:57, Mike Owen <mjnowen@gmail.com> wrote:
AFAIK the TPN working committee is still WIP. Hence a studio audit isn't yet available.
On Tue, 21 Aug 2018, 13:01 Peter Smith, <peter.smith@framestore.com> wrote:
Hot tar.
Feathers.

On 20 August 2018 at 16:05, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:

At the risk of torturing the walls and motes metaphor...We're a highly distributed organization with sites all over the EU and huge differences between business units. It's like we have a group of forts close to each other, with varying interconnecting tunnels and over-passes and roads between. As well as having other groups of forts in other areas around the territory, all also with lots of interconnects. Sometimes we build tunnels between the towns too. It's amazing. There's motes and walls and ditches at all of these places that (largely) are aware of each other. We can even swap out parts and garrisons between forts and even towns! But inside some of the fort/castle/bunker things there's bits that are like crypts and other bits like dungeons and some like bomb shelters and clean rooms... They dont have any guards in them. That would be silly / sacrilegious. Oh, and there's a bunch of armored carriages that routinely ride off to other countries to witness the worlds largest sporting events. They carry extensive infrastructure with them too and have massive satellite dishes on them..
So imagine my delight and confusion when Inquisitor-Auditor #477 says "thine audit must be doneth facility wide and thine answers must beeth for ye whole organization". Which forts and motes is he talking about? Also, some of my facility just rode off to France. Do you mean them? I know operationally everything they need to detail is in just a couple of castles called Post Production....
What would be useful is a preface to any audit with boundary conditions.

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 5:33 AM, Dylan Penhale <Dylan.Penhale@methodstudios.com> wrote:

Isilon sell the SED option, and we can already encrypt workstation/laptop/portable disks. I think more of a challenge, to performance anyway, is how to encrypt everything in flight.

To the point of walls and moats, as I understand it TPN will assign a score for each post house which will be presented to the studios to use in their selection process when assigning work. I wonder if this was put in the new MPAA recommendations to future proof them, perhaps there is an affordable and fast way to do encryption in flight just around the corner, which is sort of the point of my email really. I was interested to know if ANYONE could achieve a max pass whilst remaining competitive.

Dylan

This e-mail and any attachments are intended only for use by the addressee(s) named herein and may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you are hereby notified any dissemination, distribution or copying of this email and any attachments is strictly prohibited. If you receive this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and permanently delete the original, any copy and any printout thereof. The integrity and security of e-mail cannot be guaranteed.
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

--
Framestore Peter Smith Senior Systems Engineer
London New York Los Angeles Chicago Montral
T+44 (0)20 7208 2600 M+44 (0)7816 123009
28 Chancery Lane, London WC2A 1LB
Twitter Facebook framestore.com

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Ken Spickler @ Aug. 21, 2018, 10 a.m.
There are audits, but they are performed by independent contractors, not TPN/CDSA, and the audit is paid for by the facility requesting the audit. As I understand it, its also not pass/fail for the overall audit but rather a level of compliance for each item being audited for. So a site may be compliant on most things, but may have a not compliant or partially compliant on in-flight encryption, for example.

On Aug 21, 2018, at 6:11 AM, Ben De Luca <bdeluca@gmail.com> wrote:

AFAIK the TPN working committee is still WIP. Hence a studio audit isn't yet available.
Hot tar.
Feathers.

At the risk of torturing the walls and motes metaphor...  We're a highly distributed organization with sites all over the EU and huge differences between business units.  It's like we have a group of forts close to each other, with varying interconnecting tunnels and over-passes and roads between. As well as having other groups of forts in other areas around the territory, all also with lots of interconnects.  Sometimes we build tunnels between the towns too.  It's amazing.  There's motes and walls and ditches at all of these places that (largely) are aware of each other.  We can even swap out parts and garrisons between forts and even towns!  But inside some of the fort/castle/bunker things there's bits that are like crypts and other bits like dungeons and some like bomb shelters and clean rooms... They dont have any guards in them.  That would be silly / sacrilegious.   Oh, and there's a bunch of armored carriages that routinely ride off to other countries to witness the worlds largest sporting events.  They carry extensive infrastructure with them too and have massive satellite dishes on them..  
So imagine my delight and confusion when Inquisitor-Auditor #477 says "thine audit must be doneth facility wide and thine answers must beeth for ye whole organization".    Which forts and motes is he talking about?  Also, some of my facility just rode off to France.  Do you mean them?  I know operationally everything they need to detail is in just a couple of castles called Post Production....

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 5:33 AM, Dylan Penhale <Dylan.Penhale@methodstudios.com> wrote:

Isilon sell the SED option, and we can already encrypt workstation/laptop/portable disks. I think more of a challenge, to performance anyway, is how to encrypt everything in flight.

To the point of walls and moats, as I understand it TPN will assign a score for each post house which will be presented to the studios to use in their selection process when assigning work. I wonder if this was put in the new MPAA recommendations to future proof them, perhaps there is an affordable and fast way to do encryption in flight just around the corner, which is sort of the point of my email really. I was interested to know if ANYONE could achieve a max pass whilst remaining competitive.

Dylan

--
T  +44 (0)20 7208 2600 M  +44 (0)7816 123009

Response from Ben De Luca @ Aug. 21, 2018, 9:15 a.m.
Hot tar.
Feathers.

At the risk of torturing the walls and motes metaphor...We're a highly distributed organization with sites all over the EU and huge differences between business units. It's like we have a group of forts close to each other, with varying interconnecting tunnels and over-passes and roads between. As well as having other groups of forts in other areas around the territory, all also with lots of interconnects. Sometimes we build tunnels between the towns too. It's amazing. There's motes and walls and ditches at all of these places that (largely) are aware of each other. We can even swap out parts and garrisons between forts and even towns! But inside some of the fort/castle/bunker things there's bits that are like crypts and other bits like dungeons and some like bomb shelters and clean rooms... They dont have any guards in them. That would be silly / sacrilegious. Oh, and there's a bunch of armored carriages that routinely ride off to other countries to witness the worlds largest sporting events. They carry extensive infrastructure with them too and have massive satellite dishes on them..
So imagine my delight and confusion when Inquisitor-Auditor #477 says "thine audit must be doneth facility wide and thine answers must beeth for ye whole organization". Which forts and motes is he talking about? Also, some of my facility just rode off to France. Do you mean them? I know operationally everything they need to detail is in just a couple of castles called Post Production....

Julian Firminger

Dylan

--

Response from Anonymous @ Aug. 21, 2018, 9 a.m.
Hot tar.
Feathers.

Julian Firminger

Dylan

--

Response from Anonymous @ Aug. 21, 2018, 7:05 a.m.
Hot tar.
Feathers.

Julian Firminger

Dylan

--

Response from Ben De Luca @ Aug. 21, 2018, 3:10 a.m.
Has anyone had a TPN audit yet? Our communicationwith them broke down and I don't want to poke the beast. Afaik there is no TPN audit contract for us to sign as of yet.
On Mon, 20 Aug 2018 at 17:05, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:

Julian Firminger

Dylan

Response from Julian Firminger @ Aug. 20, 2018, 11:10 a.m.

Julian Firminger

Dylan

Response from Anonymous @ Aug. 19, 2018, 11:35 p.m.

Dylan

Response from Ben De Luca @ Aug. 18, 2018, 7:15 p.m.
at least thats going to change brian with the TPN, now you fill in one for all.
On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 at 19:37, Brian Chacon <brian.chacon@mobscene.com> wrote:
Seems like all I ever do these days is fill out Security Audit questionnaires for each and every Studio we do business with.

Brian M. ChaconVice President of Technology
Mob Scene5750 Wilshire BlvdSuite 530Lost Angeles, CA. 90036O: 323.648.7200 | D: 323.648.7210 | C: 310.503.3070www.mobscene.com

On August 17, 2018 at 2:22:16 AM, Ben De Luca (bdeluca@gmail.com) wrote:

I get the sentiment but there has to be a balance between building walls and motes and arming all the citizens.
+1

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 at 09:05, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
NAS(read)>[decypyt]>[in-flight-encypypt]>Client(decrypt)>output So now spotting systems need to be dual 18c Xeon?
I wonder if Isilon has an SDI enabled node...
I get the sentiment but there has to be a balance between building walls and motes and arming all the citizens. There has to be segments where the swords are left at the door.

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems Administrator United Broadcast Facilities Amsterdam, The Netherlands

On Thu, Aug 16, 2018 at 8:50 AM, Jimmy Christensen <lithorus@gmail.com> wrote:
If the harddrives support hardware encryption it should be doable without much performance impact.
- Jimmy

On Thu, 16 Aug 2018 at 08:05, Ken Spickler <ken.spickler@gmail.com> wrote:
Yeah, let me encrypt this 16-bit 8K TIFF sequence on the SAN and see how that real-time playback works out...

On Aug 15, 2018, at 10:55 PM, Dylan Penhale <Dylan.Penhale@methodstudios.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Quickly flipping through the newly released MPAA guidelines and as expected there are some interesting additions relating to encryption at rest and encryption in flight. Of particular interest is DS-11.4

Encrypt content at rest and in motion, including across virtual server instances, using a minimum of AES-256 encryption. and it goes on to link a page that doesnt exist. DS11.1 recommends SAN/NAS systems need to be encrypted, along with workstations, laptops and phones which a lot of us are already doing.

Weve seen this coming but I think it is going to cause some of us headaches from a cost/performance stand point. Im wondering who is doing this already, aside from those totally in the cloud.

Dylan

Response from Ben De Luca @ Aug. 17, 2018, 5:25 a.m.
I get the sentiment but there has to be a balance between building walls and motes and arming all the citizens.
+1

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018 at 09:05, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
NAS(read)>[decypyt]>[in-flight-encypypt]>Client(decrypt)>outputSo now spotting systems need to be dual 18c Xeon?
I get the sentiment but there has to be a balance between building walls and motes and arming all the citizens. There has to be segments where the swords are left at the door.

Julian Firminger

If the harddrives support hardware encryption it should be doable without much performance impact.
- Jimmy

Yeah, let me encrypt this 16-bit 8K TIFF sequence on the SAN and see how that real-time playback works out...

On Aug 15, 2018, at 10:55 PM, Dylan Penhale <Dylan.Penhale@methodstudios.com> wrote:

Hi all,

Dylan

Response from Julian Firminger @ Aug. 17, 2018, 3:10 a.m.
NAS(read)>[decypyt]>[in-flight-encypypt]>Client(decrypt)>outputSo now spotting systems need to be dual 18c Xeon?

Julian Firminger

- Jimmy

Hi all,

Dylan

Response from Jimmy Christensen @ Aug. 16, 2018, 2:55 a.m.
- Jimmy

Hi all,

Dylan

Response from Ken Spickler @ Aug. 16, 2018, 2:10 a.m.

Hi all,

Dylan