Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Basic network versus local software deployment questions
posted by Zorion Terrell  on Sept. 4, 2018, 12:05 p.m. (2 months, 16 days ago)
1 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Tom, loading Maya from the network on Windows is totally doable and load times are not as brutal as you might think.

Conor, how big is your studio? You can easily maintain installed versions of packages with a tool like PDQ Deploy and Inventory.

That being said many apps can be run off the network as well.

Zorion Terrell

Director of IT | DHX Media

e: zorion.terrell@dhxmedia.com

t: 604-684-2363 | m: 604-562-5148

380 West 5th Ave

Vancouver, BC Canada V5Y 1J5

Email Signature_DHX_Media

From: studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com <studiosysadmins-discuss-bounces@studiosysadmins.com> On Behalf Of Tom S.
Sent: Tuesday, September 4, 2018 8:37 AM
To: studiosysadmins-discuss@studiosysadmins.com
Subject: Re: [SSA-Discuss] Basic network versus local software deployment questions

Conor, it sounds like you're in a bit over your head. You do need to get someone in  with enough experience to guide you. 

You are approaching your questions backward - how much can we cram into our current setup. You should start from what you need to be able to do and what you need to put into place to support that. What is causing inefficiencies? How much time is being spent on various activities?

The answer to your basic question about whether "this is a practical achievable thing" would be hard to answer. First, you aren't very specific in your questions. Second, it would require more in depth knowledge of your setup.

Whether or not software can be run from the network or locally is wholly dependent on the Operating System of the workstation and the requirements of the application. You won't be able to run Windows Maya from the network. Even if you could, I'm not sure you would want to. Your load times would be awful.

For reference, 1 Gb switches are now more "quaint" than cutting edge.

For your concern about a licensing question, that's a decision that needs to be made on the cost of the licenses, the ability to share them, the need for flexibility, cost, etc. It's easier to manage floating licenses. But this will also depend on the size of the company, the sophistication of the IT staff, and the financial resources available.

Find a good local consultant who can point you in the right direction. There's lots of people on this forum who consult.

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from conomara @ Sept. 4, 2018, 12:12 p.m.

Apologies first, it seems that this thread has become two threads, at least when I view the forum. I think getting someone in is the correct approach and

we have amazingly decided that we will do this.

Regarding that, is this something that a good general sys admin can do, or is this something that is more VFX/CG sysadmin territory. I guess what Im asking

is could we reasonably expect a good general sysadmin to help run a 60+ person animation company, how crucial is it that they have experience in our field?

thanks

0 Plus One's     0 Comments