Sponsors
Sponsor Products
1080Ti vs 2080Ti Redshift
posted by Grant Fraser  on Oct. 5, 2018, 5:05 p.m. (11 days ago)
6 Responses     0 Plus One's     0 Comments  
Anyone run any tests yet?? 1080Ti vs 2080Ti using Redshift (Maya 2018.4 and C4D R19) With the 2080Ti being twice the price do you get twice the performance? I would accept future-proofing as a reason to buy the 2080Ti if the performance is say 80% better. -- -------------------------------------------- - Grant Fraser - Sydney Australia - - mailto:grantf@grunt.com.au - - http://www.grunt.com.au - - p: +61(0)417375836 - -------------------------------------------- This email may contain commercial-in-confidence or privileged information. It is intended for receipt by the addressee(s) only. Any disclosure, copying or distribution of the email or information contained in it is not authorised by the sender. Please telephone the sender immediately if you have received this email in error. To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Saker Klippsten @ Oct. 9, 2018, 6 a.m.
Unless you are a developer- Wait a few quarters for software to catchup. I think its way to early for folks to benchmark these cards and get meaningful results for current software. In fact not sure why anyone would. 

Finally, it is worth noting that this version of Redshift is not yet able to utilize the new RT cores which NVIDIA added to this generation of GPUs. Those are purpose-built for raytracing, and if Redshift is updated to use them in the future we could see a huge increase in performance. We will be sure to test these cards again if or when that technology is integrated into this rendering engine.

-S
On Oct 8, 2018, at 11:10 PM, Grant Fraser <grantf@grunt.com.au> wrote:

Finally....

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Redshift-2-6-22-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-2080-Ti-GPU-Rendering-Performance-1240/#BenchmarkResults

So a 38% increase is not worth the 2 x price.

On 8/10/2018 12:43 PM, Grant Fraser wrote:
Hi Ben,

Yes I know.. actually the company I work for has an LA office so they can do the purchasing etc but...

US$1,299 = AUD$1,804 + 10%GST = AUD$1,984.58 + handling/shipping = ~AUD$2,100

Doug was being optimistic in his US pricing. The price gap is not that bad with electronics once you take into account the exchange rate and taxes.
Also have to go see my favourite small computer shop which is actually a front for a shop in Hong Kong and see what they have on offer.

But back to my original question.. no-one has come up with Redshift comparison yet??
Even the V-Ray Benchmark site doesn't list the 2080 yet.

Linus Tech Tips etc are concentrating on the gaming side which seems to suggest it's as fast as a TitanV.

On 8/10/2018 5:21 AM, Ben De Luca wrote:
Hey Grant you can use things like this, https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/
You are going to have to pay the appropriate taxes though. 
On Sat, 6 Oct 2018 at 00:40, Grant Fraser <grantf@grunt.com.au> wrote:
Hi Douglas,

Look forward to seeing what you find. Will you be running Windows 10 v1809 to get the DXR support?

Wish we had access to your mega stores.. I'm in Australia and we're looking at AUD$2000 - $2300 for a 2080Ti when they become available.
A 1080Ti is ~AUD$1149

We call it "the Australia Tax". It's actually just blatant price gouging caused by a small market and few suppliers who sit down with each other over a long lunch and set prices.

Grant

On 6/10/2018 7:17 AM, Douglas Meyer wrote:
I don't know if they're twice the price.
Like for like they will be about the same.   The Asus blower 1080Ti is $999 on newegg as i write this and the 2080Ti version of same is expected to be $999 when it drops in a couple weeks.  But its true you currently have 40 versions of 1080Ti to choose from that start lower than that.
I just got 2 2080Ti FE in today and will test them next week.   Expecting around 25% faster right now but that gap will widen substantially when devs get their RTX code out.  I know chaos group is working on it already.
To me the more interesting thing about the Turing cards is that the NVLink memory pooling now works on the GeForce line.   So 2 2080Ti's and an NVLink bridge and you now have a mega GPU with 22GB memory - or you can also do 2 pair in one box. (on paper, at least).    This was previously only available in the GV100 and GP100.
Doug

On Oct 05, 2018, at 05:04 PM, Grant Fraser <grantf@grunt.com.au> wrote:

Anyone run any tests yet??

1080Ti  vs 2080Ti using Redshift (Maya 2018.4 and C4D R19)

With the 2080Ti being twice the price do you get twice the performance?

I would accept future-proofing as a reason to buy the 2080Ti if the
performance is say 80% better.

--
--------------------------------------------
- Grant Fraser - Sydney Australia -
- mailto:grantf@grunt.com.au -
- http://www.grunt.com.au -
- p: +61(0)417375836 -

This email may contain commercial-in-confidence or privileged information.
It is intended for receipt by the addressee(s) only.
Any disclosure, copying or distribution of the email or information
contained in it is not authorised by the sender.
Please telephone the sender immediately if you have received this email in error.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

-- 
-     Grant Fraser - Sydney Australia      -
-       mailto:grantf@grunt.com.au         -
-        http://www.grunt.com.au           -
-         p: +61(0)417375836               -

Please telephone the sender immediately if you have received this email in error.

-- 

-- 

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Grant Fraser @ Oct. 9, 2018, 2:15 a.m.
Finally....

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/Redshift-2-6-22-NVIDIA-GeForce-RTX-2080-2080-Ti-GPU-Rendering-Performance-1240/#BenchmarkResults

So a 38% increase is not worth the 2 x price.

On 8/10/2018 12:43 PM, Grant Fraser wrote:
Hi Ben,

Yes I know.. actually the company I work for has an LA office so they can do the purchasing etc but...

Doug was being optimistic in his US pricing. The price gap is not that bad with electronics once you take into account the exchange rate and taxes.
Also have to go see my favourite small computer shop which is actually a front for a shop in Hong Kong and see what they have on offer.

But back to my original question.. no-one has come up with Redshift comparison yet??

Linus Tech Tips etc are concentrating on the gaming side which seems to suggest it's as fast as a TitanV.

Hey Grant you can use things like this,https://shopmate.auspost.com.au/
Hi Douglas,

Look forward to seeing what you find. Will you be running Windows 10 v1809 to get the DXR support?

Wish we had access to your mega stores.. I'm in Australia and we're looking at AUD$2000 - $2300 for a 2080Ti when they become available.
A 1080Ti is ~AUD$1149

We call it "the Australia Tax". It's actually just blatant price gouging caused by a small market and few suppliers who sit down with each other over a long lunch and set prices.

Grant

Like for like they will be about the same. The Asus blower 1080Ti is $999 on newegg as i write this and the 2080Ti version of same is expected to be $999 when it drops in a couple weeks. But its true you currently have 40 versions of 1080Ti to choose from that start lower than that.
I just got 2 2080Ti FE in today and will test them next week. Expecting around 25% faster right now but that gap will widen substantially when devs get their RTX code out. I know chaos group is working on it already.
To me the more interesting thing about the Turing cards is that the NVLink memory pooling now works on the GeForce line. So 2 2080Ti's and an NVLink bridge and you now have a mega GPU with 22GB memory - or you can also do 2 pair in one box. (on paper, at least). This was previously only available in the GV100 and GP100.
Doug

1080Ti vs 2080Ti using Redshift (Maya 2018.4 and C4D R19)

--

-- 

-- 

-- 

Response from Grant Fraser @ Oct. 7, 2018, 9:45 p.m.
Hi Ben,

Hi Douglas,

A 1080Ti is ~AUD$1149

Grant

Like for like they will be about the same. The Asus blower 1080Ti is $999 on newegg as i write this and the 2080Ti version of same is expected to be $999 when it drops in a couple weeks. But its true you currently have 40 versions of 1080Ti to choose from that start lower than that.
I just got 2 2080Ti FE in today and will test them next week. Expecting around 25% faster right now but that gap will widen substantially when devs get their RTX code out. I know chaos group is working on it already.
To me the more interesting thing about the Turing cards is that the NVLink memory pooling now works on the GeForce line. So 2 2080Ti's and an NVLink bridge and you now have a mega GPU with 22GB memory - or you can also do 2 pair in one box. (on paper, at least). This was previously only available in the GV100 and GP100.
Doug

--

-- 

-- 

Response from Ben De Luca @ Oct. 7, 2018, 2:25 p.m.
Hi Douglas,

A 1080Ti is ~AUD$1149

Grant

Doug

--

-- 

Response from Grant Fraser @ Oct. 5, 2018, 6:45 p.m.
Hi Douglas,

A 1080Ti is ~AUD$1149

Grant

Doug

--

-- 

Response from Doug Meyer @ Oct. 5, 2018, 5:20 p.m.
Like for like they will be about the same.   The Asus blower 1080Ti is $999 on newegg as i write this and the 2080Ti version of same is expected to be $999 when it drops in a couple weeks.  But its true you currently have 40 versions of 1080Ti to choose from that start lower than that.
I just got 2 2080Ti FE in today and will test them next week.   Expecting around 25% faster right now but that gap will widen substantially when devs get their RTX code out.  I know chaos group is working on it already.
To me the more interesting thing about the Turing cards is that the NVLink memory pooling now works on the GeForce line.   So 2 2080Ti's and an NVLink bridge and you now have a mega GPU with 22GB memory - or you can also do 2 pair in one box. (on paper, at least).    This was previously only available in the GV100 and GP100.
Doug

1080Ti  vs 2080Ti using Redshift (Maya 2018.4 and C4D R19)

--