Sponsors
Sponsor Products
Photoshop=chicken, Linux=egg
posted by Jeff Klug  on Dec. 12, 2018, 12:30 p.m. (3 months, 7 days ago)
24 Responses     0 Plus One's     1 Comments  

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/12/11/want-adobe-premiere-pro-ported-to-linux-heres-what-to-do/
As per usual...
Adobe won't port to Linux, because there's not enough demand for it because people can't switch to Linux because they need Photoshop which isn't on Linux because there's not enough demand for it because people aren't using Linux because they need Photoshop...
...ad infinitum

Thread Tags:
  discuss-at-studiosysadmins 

Response from Shane McEwan @ Jan. 23, 2019, 6 p.m.
On 24/1/19 3:33 am, Jeff Klug wrote: > So.. does this mean that Adobe is officially selling Linux software? :-) > > https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-acquires-allegorithmic-substance-3D-gaming/ > > Maybe Allegorithmic can teach Adobe how to make cross-platform applications? No. More likely they will kill the Linux version. Shane. To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     1 Comments  

Response from Jimmy Christensen @ Jan. 23, 2019, 12:20 p.m.
And here I was hoping for OCIO support in substance painter. Guess I can forget about that now :-(
- Jimmy
On Wed, 23 Jan 2019, 17.33 Jeff Klug <jbklug@gmail.com wrote:
So.. does this mean that Adobe is officially selling Linux software? :-)
https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-acquires-allegorithmic-substance-3D-gaming/

Maybe Allegorithmic can teach Adobe how to make cross-platform applications?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 11:37 PM Jeff Yana <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Adobe CC on Linux might be here sooner than you think, this after recently speaking with Google's Head of the Enterprise Channel. Google is making serious inroads into the Enterprise with ChromeOS, they certainly have the deep pockets to make it happen.

To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe
To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

0 Plus One's     0 Comments  

Response from Jeff Klug @ Jan. 23, 2019, 11:35 a.m.
So.. does this mean that Adobe is officially selling Linux software? :-)
https://theblog.adobe.com/adobe-acquires-allegorithmic-substance-3D-gaming/

Maybe Allegorithmic can teach Adobe how to make cross-platform applications?

On Thu, Dec 20, 2018 at 11:37 PM Jeff Yana <content@studiosysadmins.com> wrote:

Adobe CC on Linux might be here sooner than you think, this after recently speaking with Google's Head of the Enterprise Channel. Google is making serious inroads into the Enterprise with ChromeOS, they certainly have the deep pockets to make it happen.

Response from Jeff Yana @ Dec. 20, 2018, 11:37 p.m.

Response from Julian Firminger @ Dec. 20, 2018, 2:35 p.m.
I don't know what i love about this more. The active use of Pink Floyd or the fact that Adobe employees are on this list.
Viva la revolucin!

Julian Firminger

Op do 20 dec. 2018 16:15 schreef greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com:
That would be spectacular! Pumping signs like it was an anti trump rally.

Tear down the Adobe wall! (floyd playing in the background)
Since, my friend, you have revealed your
Deepest fear
I sentence you to be exposed before
Your peers
Tear down the wall!

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 2:52 AM julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
So why dont we next NAB or IBC stage a protest on their booth. We could all wear Krita T-shirts and have signs that say "Ban the Cloud" "Give us RLM licensing" etc. Anyone good at coming up with chants?
Seriously though, I am so not above getting kicked out of IBC for the right cause. :)

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 6:03 AM greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
They need a new CCO and CMO. Fresh young blood with a touch on what customers want, from home users to enterprise. Someone who will take them to the same landscape as other vendors are playing on who use these tools. Its bad of them to ignore. At one time is was supported on IRIX, Solaris, MacOS and then windows (perhaps at the same time but would have to wikipedia that..). Would seem to be a small sacrifice to appease what they see as 'too small a segment' to release on linux. Again I point to the useless efforts they invested on android and iphone apps.. To let a 'me too' effort take priority over real production it odd. That whole budget towards that effort could of covered the costs of a linux product, I think.... They probably had reach around parties on those releases... raw raw we are so on top of things!!!!
Wonder if anyone thought of taking them to court over this. seems discriminatory to me. lol ;)
good night,-g

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 9:24 PM Dan Mons <dmons@cuttingedge.com.au> wrote:
On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 05:34, greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
The many flavors thing as a hurdle doesn't fly with me. _at all_. They are blowing smoke up the proverbial pipe.

Nor anyone else moderately familiar with Linux who has used it for more than a minute. But the issue is that Adobe are intentionally ignoring replies to the topic, so "haaaave you heard of the VFX Reference Platform?" is a better response than anything else, as it at least attempts to give them something to latch on to other than "it's all too hard, so we won't bother".

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 06:03, Will Rosecrans <wrosecrans@gmail.com> wrote:
But Adobe doesn't really seem to give a hoot about studios, running Linux or otherwise.

This is extremely evident. Any scale of "enterprise deployment" has proven too much for Adobe to care about, now or at any time in their history. Adobe CC is obviously aimed at single operators, and that market is still where Adobe want to focus.

Sites who scale up past one license are of no concern to them. The tools Adobe offer to deal with larger deployments are embarrassingly inadequate, and enormously time consuming to manage.

And while I'm having a rant, how much fun is seeing almost every email in your org show up on haveibeenpwned's list because of Adobe security breaches? Top effort, Adobe. Thanks for all the spam.
-Dan

Thisemailis confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient.If you have received thisemailin error please notify the author and delete it immediately. Thisemailis not to be distributed without the author's written consent.Unauthorised forwarding, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited and may be a breach of copyright. Any views expressed in thisemailare those of the individual sender unless specifically stated to be the views ofCutting EdgePost Pty Ltd (Cutting Edge). Although thisemailhas been sent in the belief that it is virus-free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free. No responsibility is accepted byCutting Edgefor any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of thisemail. Thisemailmay contain legally privileged information and privilege is not waived if you have received thisemailin error.

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 20, 2018, 10:20 a.m.
That would be spectacular! Pumping signs like it was an anti trump rally.

Tear down the Adobe wall! (floyd playing in the background)
Since, my friend, you have revealed your
Deepest fear
I sentence you to be exposed before
Your peers
Tear down the wall!

On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 2:52 AM julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:
So why dont we next NAB or IBC stage a protest on their booth. We could all wear Krita T-shirts and have signs that say "Ban the Cloud" "Give us RLM licensing" etc. Anyone good at coming up with chants?
Seriously though, I am so not above getting kicked out of IBC for the right cause. :)

Julian Firminger

Senior Systems AdministratorUnited Broadcast FacilitiesAmsterdam, The Netherlands

They need a new CCO and CMO. Fresh young blood with a touch on what customers want, from home users to enterprise. Someone who will take them to the same landscape as other vendors are playing on who use these tools. Its bad of them to ignore. At one time is was supported on IRIX, Solaris, MacOS and then windows (perhaps at the same time but would have to wikipedia that..). Would seem to be a small sacrifice to appease what they see as 'too small a segment' to release on linux. Again I point to the useless efforts they invested on android and iphone apps.. To let a 'me too' effort take priority over real production it odd. That whole budget towards that effort could of covered the costs of a linux product, I think.... They probably had reach around parties on those releases... raw raw we are so on top of things!!!!
Wonder if anyone thought of taking them to court over this. seems discriminatory to me. lol ;)
good night,-g

The many flavors thing as a hurdle doesn't fly with me. _at all_. They are blowing smoke up the proverbial pipe.

Nor anyone else moderately familiar with Linux who has used it for more than a minute. But the issue is that Adobe are intentionally ignoring replies to the topic, so "haaaave you heard of the VFX Reference Platform?" is a better response than anything else, as it at least attempts to give them something to latch on to other than "it's all too hard, so we won't bother".

But Adobe doesn't really seem to give a hoot about studios, running Linux or otherwise.

This is extremely evident. Any scale of "enterprise deployment" has proven too much for Adobe to care about, now or at any time in their history. Adobe CC is obviously aimed at single operators, and that market is still where Adobe want to focus.

Sites who scale up past one license are of no concern to them. The tools Adobe offer to deal with larger deployments are embarrassingly inadequate, and enormously time consuming to manage.

And while I'm having a rant, how much fun is seeing almost every email in your org show up on haveibeenpwned's list because of Adobe security breaches? Top effort, Adobe. Thanks for all the spam.
-Dan

Thisemailis confidential and solely for the use of the intended recipient.If you have received thisemailin error please notify the author and delete it immediately. Thisemailis not to be distributed without the author's written consent.Unauthorised forwarding, printing, copying or use is strictly prohibited and may be a breach of copyright. Any views expressed in thisemailare those of the individual sender unless specifically stated to be the views ofCutting EdgePost Pty Ltd (Cutting Edge). Although thisemailhas been sent in the belief that it is virus-free, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it is virus free. No responsibility is accepted byCutting Edgefor any loss or damage arising in any way from receipt or use of thisemail. Thisemailmay contain legally privileged information and privilege is not waived if you have received thisemailin error.

Response from Ben De Luca @ Dec. 19, 2018, 3:20 a.m.
You could do what we did to get Autodesk to port stuff... we offered to pay. With the money, a few of us are spending on second computers it was financiallysensible.
I haven'tever seen the Android version, but they have something running on linux today.

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 at 08:52, julian firminger <justdigitalfilm@gmail.com> wrote:

Julian Firminger

good night,-g

-Dan

Response from Julian Firminger @ Dec. 19, 2018, 2:55 a.m.

Julian Firminger

good night,-g

-Dan

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 19, 2018, 12:05 a.m.
good night,-g

-Dan

Response from Dan Mons @ Dec. 18, 2018, 9:25 p.m.

-Dan

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 18, 2018, 5:15 p.m.
I guess we shouldn't complain. they did develop a bunch (10+?) applications for our iphones and maintain them. That has to be bringing in truck loads of revenue.

Be nice to see the Krita project get some legs and close the gap, or Autodesk (et. al) buy them. My kid (since she was about 8) was exposed to both PS and Krita with a wacom tablet. To this day she still chooses to use Krita. That was without any input on our end as parents. I understand they don't have the same target audience but they are close enough. She said it worked better for her way of doing things, maybe the next gen won't want/care if its PS.

greg

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 3:31 PM Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:
This is my major concern with Adobe when it comes to Linux support. Having the VFX Platform is awesome and great and companies making studio oriented apps is great, but Adobe is not that kind of company. Sure, small and medium studios use their suites as they can quickly interop the apps with each other (Pr - Ps - Ae - Au - Ai), but they are seriously geared (in pricing and marketing) to small teams and individuals. In the Linux world, that is not the RHEL/CentOS market.
So, target a different user based distro like Ubuntu. We enterprisey types can figure out how to make things work pretty well. But honestly I just dont see Adobe even trying to move into the Linux market willingly, theyll give every possible excuse to delay or hamper that kind of progress.
Cheers,Mike

---- On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 15:03:06 -0500 Will Rosecrans<wrosecrans@gmail.com> wrote ----
It makes perfect sense that any studio that wants to run Photoshop on Linux can currently run Nuke on Linux, so just supporting the same target is enough for most of the potential Linux professional market.
But Adobe doesn't really seem to give a hoot about studios, running Linux or otherwise. If they did, they'd have a sensible licensing system. The CC nonsense is clearly mainly targeted much more toward a million companies with a few people who need or want PhotoShop in the marketing department to make a flyer, rather than much fewer studios that need to sit down a hundred freelancers in the pipeline to make a film. It's just a market that they fundamentally aren't targeting. So trying to convince them of the easiest way to target a market that they don't care about seems like fundamentally the wrong way to construct an argument.
As long as they don't want to deal with those sorts of users, telling them they can easily just target Red Hat and the same platform as Nuke/Maya, is basically the same as telling them the easiest way to take a cheese grater to their face.

On Tue, Dec 18, 2018 at 11:34 AM greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

Like any vendor of high end commercial tools on linux, they pick a distro and hardware config (GPU type, DRAM, CPU) and go for it. They don't attempt to QA on the possible 73440041 different distros and hardware combinations. Pick a distro and move forward. Any vendor claiming this as being the road block (looking at Adobe.) is full of it. Worse is if they let the community decide instead of making an intelligent business decision, but that's another topic..

for example:https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Maya-2018.html
states you need to run this on a RedHat based system, and just not any... RHE or CentOS with a particular GPU and driver versions listed. Keep it simple.

If a Debian-Ubuntu/Slack/Suse/vfx*/*.?? fan boy/girl doesn't like the one the vendor chooses, suck it up. At least its on linux!!!!

If you're really bent on running it on another distro, go for it - shouldn't be too hard to make it work. Support may not be a concern for you, and most times the first question support asks isn't which flavor of linux you're running. When they get into it and discover its an OS issue rather than an application issue, they may say they can't help you. Which is fine and fair in my books.

-greg

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 7:52 AM Ben De Luca <bdeluca@gmail.com> wrote:
On the linux is many flavours argument. How about supporting just this
https://www.vfxplatform.com/

We negotiated with Autodesk a long time ago to have a single reasonable base.With margins slim, having to maintain a linux and a windows machine just to deliver photoshop is a pain.

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 at 22:42, Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:
As Ive worked for a company doing Win, MacOS and Linux prior to joining Adobe, Ill add a bit of color to this request: doing Linux isnt really about adding one OS, its at least several, if not many. Putting software thats demanding onCPU,GPUand then some onto a linux system means developing and testing against several of the major flavours if you expect great results.
I mean, supporting multiple distros would be nice but to do so is Adobes prerogative. Could just provide .run or similar universal installers but only officially support one or two distros, like Foundry with RHEL/CentOS. And if you bundle the necessary libraries (or compile them in statically) you have less to worry about. For a proprietary tool that shouldnt be too terrible to do. Testing desktop environments can be more work than testing distros in my experience with some tools.
Cheers,Mike

---- On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 16:07:37 -0500 greg whynott<greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote ----
Everyone do us a favor, go here and vote and/or leave a line or two. A product manager from Adobe is looking.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/36257581-yes-please-support-linux-this-would-be-a-huge-m
Because the guy on twitter has a large following, apparently this issue made it "up the flag pole"..
greg

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 1:44 PM greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:
I very much hate this subject, its over 10 years now people been asking for PS on linux.

Do people use the phone apps Adobe develops for work related stuff or was it just a 'me too' effort? How long did that take and how much money do they spend maintaining them? Do you cut video on your phone often?

While I"m not a developer, to me it seems like an easy go. Its already compiled for OSX, and was available for IRIX. I can't see there being a lot of effort since they been down the UNIX road a few times.

Seems more of a support concern to them, but maybe they could have a different contract.. They suck. Last year they made 883 million in profits, almost a billion! Not enough revenue to accommodate their own clients I guess.

bah...
greg

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 12:25 PM Jeff Klug <jbklug@gmail.com> wrote:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/12/11/want-adobe-premiere-pro-ported-to-linux-heres-what-to-do/
As per usual...
Adobe won't port to Linux, because there's not enough demand for it because people can't switch to Linux because they need Photoshop which isn't on Linux because there's not enough demand for it because people aren't using Linux because they need Photoshop...
...ad infinitum

Response from Mike Rochefort @ Dec. 18, 2018, 3:35 p.m.
This is my major concern with Adobe when it comes to Linux support. Having the VFX Platform is awesome and great and companies making studio oriented apps is great, but Adobe is not that kind of company. Sure, small and medium studios use their suites as they can quickly interop the apps with each other (Pr - Ps - Ae - Au - Ai), but they are seriously geared (in pricing and marketing) to small teams and individuals. In the Linux world, that is not the RHEL/CentOS market.
So, target a different user based distro like Ubuntu. We enterprisey types can figure out how to make things work pretty well. But honestly I just dont see Adobe even trying to move into the Linux market willingly, theyll give every possible excuse to delay or hamper that kind of progress.
Cheers,Mike

---- On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 15:03:06 -0500 Will Rosecrans<wrosecrans@gmail.com> wrote ----
It makes perfect sense that any studio that wants to run Photoshop on Linux can currently run Nuke on Linux, so just supporting the same target is enough for most of the potential Linux professional market.
But Adobe doesn't really seem to give a hoot about studios, running Linux or otherwise. If they did, they'd have a sensible licensing system.  The CC nonsense is clearly mainly targeted much more toward a million companies with a few people who need or want PhotoShop in the marketing department to make a flyer, rather than much fewer studios that need to sit down a hundred freelancers in the pipeline to make a film.  It's just a market that they fundamentally aren't targeting.  So trying to convince them of the easiest way to target a market that they don't care about seems like fundamentally the wrong way to construct an argument.
As long as they don't want to deal with those sorts of users, telling them they can easily just target Red Hat and the same platform as Nuke/Maya, is basically the same as telling them the easiest way to take a cheese grater to their face.

The many flavors thing as a hurdle doesn't fly with me. _at all_.  They are blowing smoke up the proverbial pipe.  

Like any vendor of high end commercial tools on linux,  they pick a distro and hardware config (GPU type, DRAM, CPU) and go for it.  They don't attempt to QA on the possible 73440041 different distros and hardware combinations.    Pick a distro and move forward.  Any vendor claiming this as being the road block (looking at Adobe.) is full of it.     Worse is if they let the community decide instead of making an intelligent business decision,  but that's another topic..

for example:https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/maya/learn-explore/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/System-requirements-for-Autodesk-Maya-2018.html
states you need to run this on a RedHat based system,  and just not any...  RHE or CentOS with a particular GPU and driver versions listed.   Keep it simple.  

If a Debian-Ubuntu/Slack/Suse/vfx*/*.?? fan boy/girl doesn't like the one the vendor chooses,  suck it up.       At least its on linux!!!!   

If you're really bent on running it on another distro,  go for it - shouldn't be too hard to make it work.    Support may not be a concern for you,   and most times the first question support asks isn't which flavor of linux you're running.  When they get into it and discover its an OS issue rather than an application issue,  they may say they can't help you.  Which is fine and fair in my books.

-greg

We negotiated with Autodesk a long time ago to have a single reasonable base. With margins slim, having to maintain a linux and a windows machine just to deliver photoshop is a pain. 

On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 at 22:42, Michael Rochefort <mike@michaelrochefort.com> wrote:
As Ive worked for a company doing Win, MacOS and Linux prior to joining Adobe, Ill add a bit of color to this request: doing Linux isnt really about adding one OS, its at least several, if not many. Putting software thats demanding on CPU, GPU and then some onto a linux system means developing and testing against several of the major flavours if you expect great results.
I mean, supporting multiple distros would be nice but to do so is Adobes prerogative. Could just provide .run or similar universal installers but only officially support one or two distros, like Foundry with RHEL/CentOS. And if you bundle the necessary libraries (or compile them in statically) you have less to worry about. For a proprietary tool that shouldnt be too terrible to do. Testing desktop environments can be more work than testing distros in my experience with some tools.
Cheers,Mike 

---- On Wed, 12 Dec 2018 16:07:37 -0500 greg whynott<greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote ----
Everyone do us a favor,   go here and vote and/or leave a line or two.  A product manager from Adobe is looking.

https://adobe-video.uservoice.com/forums/911233-premiere-pro/suggestions/36257581-yes-please-support-linux-this-would-be-a-huge-m
Because the guy on twitter has a large following,  apparently this issue made it "up the flag pole"..    
greg

I very much hate this subject, its over 10 years now people been asking for PS on linux.

Do people use the phone apps Adobe develops for work related stuff or was it just a 'me too' effort?  How long did that take and how much money do they spend maintaining them?   Do you cut video on your phone often?

While I"m not a developer,  to me it seems like an easy go.   Its already compiled for OSX,  and was available for IRIX.   I can't see there being a lot of effort since they been down the UNIX road a few times. 

Seems more of a support concern to them,  but maybe they could have a different contract.. They suck.  Last year they made 883 million in profits, almost a billion!  Not enough revenue to accommodate their own clients I guess. 

bah...
greg

As per usual...
...ad infinitum

Response from Will Rosecrans @ Dec. 18, 2018, 3:05 p.m.
But Adobe doesn't really seem to give a hoot about studios, running Linux or otherwise. If they did, they'd have a sensible licensing system. The CC nonsense is clearly mainly targeted much more toward a million companies with a few people who need or want PhotoShop in the marketing department to make a flyer, rather than much fewer studios that need to sit down a hundred freelancers in the pipeline to make a film. It's just a market that they fundamentally aren't targeting. So trying to convince them of the easiest way to target a market that they don't care about seems like fundamentally the wrong way to construct an argument.

Like any vendor of high end commercial tools on linux, they pick a distro and hardware config (GPU type, DRAM, CPU) and go for it. They don't attempt to QA on the possible 73440041 different distros and hardware combinations. Pick a distro and move forward. Any vendor claiming this as being the road block (looking at Adobe.) is full of it. Worse is if they let the community decide instead of making an intelligent business decision, but that's another topic..

states you need to run this on a RedHat based system, and just not any... RHE or CentOS with a particular GPU and driver versions listed. Keep it simple.

If a Debian-Ubuntu/Slack/Suse/vfx*/*.?? fan boy/girl doesn't like the one the vendor chooses, suck it up. At least its on linux!!!!

If you're really bent on running it on another distro, go for it - shouldn't be too hard to make it work. Support may not be a concern for you, and most times the first question support asks isn't which flavor of linux you're running. When they get into it and discover its an OS issue rather than an application issue, they may say they can't help you. Which is fine and fair in my books.

-greg

We negotiated with Autodesk a long time ago to have a single reasonable base.With margins slim, having to maintain a linux and a windows machine just to deliver photoshop is a pain.

As Ive worked for a company doing Win, MacOS and Linux prior to joining Adobe, Ill add a bit of color to this request: doing Linux isnt really about adding one OS, its at least several, if not many. Putting software thats demanding onCPU,GPUand then some onto a linux system means developing and testing against several of the major flavours if you expect great results.
Cheers,Mike

Everyone do us a favor, go here and vote and/or leave a line or two. A product manager from Adobe is looking.

Because the guy on twitter has a large following, apparently this issue made it "up the flag pole"..
greg

Do people use the phone apps Adobe develops for work related stuff or was it just a 'me too' effort? How long did that take and how much money do they spend maintaining them? Do you cut video on your phone often?

While I"m not a developer, to me it seems like an easy go. Its already compiled for OSX, and was available for IRIX. I can't see there being a lot of effort since they been down the UNIX road a few times.

Seems more of a support concern to them, but maybe they could have a different contract.. They suck. Last year they made 883 million in profits, almost a billion! Not enough revenue to accommodate their own clients I guess.

bah...
greg

As per usual...
...ad infinitum

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 18, 2018, 2:45 p.m.

On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 6:10 PM Dan Mons <dmons@cuttingedge.com.au> wrote:
I'm beginning to genuinely believe there are sinister motives behind their actions, as nobody can be that ignorant for that long. Probably some executive with a lot of Apple shares who understands the inevitable consequences.
-Dan

Couldn't agree more. I'm assuming it was a M$/Apple golf course deal made back in the day. Also I think more cuts of PS are sold on windows than OSX these days, anyone know?
greg

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 18, 2018, 2:35 p.m.

-greg

Cheers,Mike

greg

bah...
greg

As per usual...
...ad infinitum

Response from Dan Mons @ Dec. 18, 2018, 1:10 a.m.
On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 at 14:35, Shane McEwan <shane@mcewan.id.au> wrote:
Adobe aren't hearing "We'd buy Photoshop if it was available for Linux"
they're hearing "We'd run Photoshop on Linux if it was available but it
isn't so we have to run it on Windows or MacOS."

In other words, the lack of Photoshop on Linux isn't hurting their
bottom line because we all keep buying it anyway!

I'd like to tell them that they'd sell _more_ copies if it was available
for Linux but I don't have the numbers to back that up.

Sell some Linux render licenses for products like After Effects, and there's your answer.
-Dan

Response from Shane McEwan @ Dec. 17, 2018, 11:40 p.m.
On 18/12/2018 10:10, Dan Mons wrote: > On the topic of Adobe, I agree, after decades it's getting boring > listening to literally the last vendor we have not on Linux to tell us > there's no demand for Linux. I'm beginning to genuinely believe there > are sinister motives behind their actions, as nobody can be that > ignorant for that long. Probably some executive with a lot of Apple > shares who understands the inevitable consequences. It's not ignorance, it's lack of necessity. Adobe aren't hearing "We'd buy Photoshop if it was available for Linux" they're hearing "We'd run Photoshop on Linux if it was available but it isn't so we have to run it on Windows or MacOS." In other words, the lack of Photoshop on Linux isn't hurting their bottom line because we all keep buying it anyway! I'd like to tell them that they'd sell _more_ copies if it was available for Linux but I don't have the numbers to back that up. Shane. To unsubscribe from the list send a blank e-mail to mailto:studiosysadmins-discuss-request@studiosysadmins.com?subject=unsubscribe

Response from Dan Mons @ Dec. 17, 2018, 6:15 p.m.
On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 at 22:52, Ben De Luca <bdeluca@gmail.com> wrote:

This. Well planned, well defined, plenty of notice of upcoming changes, and all open for review and feedback.

Follow that, and distro-wars vanish, as every studio is following it too regardless of what they run on their Linux desktops.

On the topic of Adobe, I agree, after decades it's getting boring listening to literally the last vendor we have not on Linux to tell us there's no demand for Linux. I'm beginning to genuinely believe there are sinister motives behind their actions, as nobody can be that ignorant for that long. Probably some executive with a lot of Apple shares who understands the inevitable consequences.
-Dan

Response from Ben De Luca @ Dec. 17, 2018, 7:55 a.m.

Cheers,Mike

greg

bah...
greg

As per usual...
...ad infinitum

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 13, 2018, 2:45 p.m.
Iridas was bought by Adobe, makes sense now why he is carrying the linux flag while at Adobe. Hope he doesn't get sacked now for publicly "supporting" the effort.have a good one,greg

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 6:07 PM Jeff Klug <jbklug@gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 4:07 PM greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

The Adobe product manager is formerly from Iridas. Anybody still using Iridas Framecycler on Linux? :-)

Response from Jeff Klug @ Dec. 12, 2018, 6:10 p.m.

On Wed, Dec 12, 2018 at 4:07 PM greg whynott <greg.whynott@gmail.com> wrote:

The Adobe product manager is formerly from Iridas. Anybody still using Iridas Framecycler on Linux? :-)

Response from Mike Rochefort @ Dec. 12, 2018, 4:45 p.m.
As Ive worked for a company doing Win, MacOS and Linux prior to joining Adobe, Ill add a bit of color to this request: doing Linux isnt really about adding one OS, its at least several, if not many. Putting software thats demanding on CPU, GPU and then some onto a linux system means developing and testing against several of the major flavours if you expect great results.
Cheers,Mike 

Everyone do us a favor,   go here and vote and/or leave a line or two.  A product manager from Adobe is looking.

Because the guy on twitter has a large following,  apparently this issue made it "up the flag pole"..    
greg

Do people use the phone apps Adobe develops for work related stuff or was it just a 'me too' effort?  How long did that take and how much money do they spend maintaining them?   Do you cut video on your phone often?

While I"m not a developer,  to me it seems like an easy go.   Its already compiled for OSX,  and was available for IRIX.   I can't see there being a lot of effort since they been down the UNIX road a few times. 

Seems more of a support concern to them,  but maybe they could have a different contract.. They suck.  Last year they made 883 million in profits, almost a billion!  Not enough revenue to accommodate their own clients I guess. 

bah...
greg

As per usual...
...ad infinitum

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 12, 2018, 4:10 p.m.

greg

bah...
greg

As per usual...
...ad infinitum

Response from Greg Whynott @ Dec. 12, 2018, 1:50 p.m.

bah...
greg

As per usual...
...ad infinitum